2014 Indy 550 144 Altitude/temp Compensation?

silver fox

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi all, looked around here and the net in general, even talked to the local dealer..Am wondering if the new 2014 Indy 550 fan cooled sled has any kind of compensator for elevation and temperature changes? I know Doo has something, would think in this day and age Polaris would..dealer says yes, but I can't find anything whatsoever on the Polaris website ..anyone know the answer? Thanks, and Happy Braaaaping!:noidea::noidea::noidea:

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
None of the 550 fan cooled sleds do stock. Ski Doo included.

You will have to put on an ATACC system.

Unless you are building a mountain sled for an 8 - 10 year old, I would not waste the time.

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Silver Fox:

I have built a bunch of these. Of course they are really reliable sled.

Two issues. Not enough power and old school handling. My youngest daughter was 8 when I wrecked her 300 in a rather unfortunate "deck" accident. I immediately bought her a 550 Freestyle. That lasted about 2 years. Was too wide for her to carve so ended up with shorter A-Arms. shocks, etc.

She was 11 when she started riding a 600 for fun. At 12 she was on my 600 Etech and never looked back. At 16 she is riding an 800.

For a 14 year old, I would look at a 600. One thing I did to smooth it out was put in foam behind the throttle trigger. I though if she ever got scared and yanked, at least that would slow things down.

That actually was never necessary and we ditched it after 3 rides.

For about $1,000 more than than a fan cooled sled, you could get the carbed Skidoo 600 summit. Comes with Flex Track and T motion. Altitude compensation. Adjustable front ski stance. The works. Best deal out there and will last your kid a long time. I wish there had been a sled out there like that when I was buying the 550 for her. Would have saved me a lot of $

Last edited:
Top Bottom