2012 RK Tek Drop-In Kit Boondocker Box #'s update

chrishew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys. I've got a 2012 Polaris Pro 800 RMK with a 150 miles now on a RK Tek Drop-In Kit (Version 1 with no cylinder shim). It also has a full AAEN exhaust, fire n ice intake, and a Boondocker Fuel box.
I installed a AEM AFR gauge on it last weekend and found the engine needed a lot more fuel then I had thought.
I'm now running
RPMThrottle Position
LoMidHi
25003%3%3%
55007%8%8%
67507%9%10%
750010%11%12%
850011%12%12%

I'm seeing about 12.8-13.4% O2 at LO throttle positions on the trail around 5000-6500 rpm

I was still not happy with 12.5-13.0% O2 on climbs at 8300 rpm, seems a bit lean so I just didn't hold it there too long. I think I would feel more comfortable in the low 12's. I really need to get out and do some plug checks to see what these AFR numbers truly correspond too.

I should have checked the plugs but didn't want to hold up the other riders I was with. It seemed like possibly the AFR gauge needs to be calibrated at elevation it seemed like the whole range drifted to leaner readings when I went up in elevation and when I tryed adding more fule to pull it dowen the sled just bogged.
Does anyone know if the AEM gauges auto air cal when the sled is started or do you need to do something to cal them at elevation? I'm sure its in the instructiond just haven't read them all yet.

The day before I had my AFR gauge I did get several DET's I kept adding fuel but it seemed like maybe it was over reving instead of being lean. I was seeing 8400-8450 rpm no problem with 66g belly busters at 6500 feet elevation and surging between 8400-7900 rpm at times. This day I probably was running a bit lean.
The second day I installed the AFR gauge and mixed in 5 L of C12 to ensure that wasn't the reason for the DET. Same elevation I was only getting between 8200-8300 rpm but steady rpms and added aboutr 5% fuel nearly across the board to come up witht the fuel box numbers posted above.

Very happy with this drop in and pipe setup so far though sled is running better than ever and seems to have a lot more torque than before.
I'm not going to list much for mph's though because they do change with many of the conditions so its a poor comparison. I did see up to 47 mph in powder but also saw only 39 mph on another lengthy pull all in good powder.

Curious to see what this revised RK Tek kit is all about though. If he's got a new version out does seem like a rip off that I got the last of these kits because I ordered in Oct too.

Top Bottom