2012 600 Pro starting problem

rizzman

Reaction score
I was riding the other day in some pretty deep snow. I got off the gas quickly, the sled slowed very fast and my body came forward and I hit the kill switch with my body. No big deal, I'll just hit the starter and keep going again right? The thing was dead. Really dead. The electric start would just turn the the motor over and the pull start was tough to pull. After analyzing everything, kill button is on run, tether is plugged in and the key was turned. It sat for about 10 minutes while I sweated it out and then miraculously started for me. I've shut it down and started it a few times since and no problems (besides a grinding starter, but that's a problem for another day). I've heard about 'no start' issues before, but I don't know if it's a common problem with these sleds or not. Something with the kill switch maybe? It won't be used anymore as I've put a zip tie around it so it can't be triggered anymore. I dunno...

Anyway, if anyone can provide some insight into this problem, I'd really appreciate it. It seems like there's some pretty smart fellas on this board. The sled is stock with the exception of a tether which hasn't given any problems that I'm aware of. There are 700 miles on the sled.

Thanks in advance for any help.

rizzman

Reaction score
I talked to the service guy at Cycle Jerks today and he said they've had a rash of the same problem recently. So, I guess I'll zip ty the button so I can't use it and hopefully that will solve the problem.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would be interested in what you find. We have the same machine
I was riding the other day in some pretty deep snow. I got off the gas quickly, the sled slowed very fast and my body came forward and I hit the kill switch with my body. No big deal, I'll just hit the starter and keep going again right? The thing was dead. Really dead. The electric start would just turn the the motor over and the pull start was tough to pull. After analyzing everything, kill button is on run, tether is plugged in and the key was turned. It sat for about 10 minutes while I sweated it out and then miraculously started for me. I've shut it down and started it a few times since and no problems (besides a grinding starter, but that's a problem for another day). I've heard about 'no start' issues before, but I don't know if it's a common problem with these sleds or not. Something with the kill switch maybe? It won't be used anymore as I've put a zip tie around it so it can't be triggered anymore. I dunno...

Anyway, if anyone can provide some insight into this problem, I'd really appreciate it. It seems like there's some pretty smart fellas on this board. The sled is stock with the exception of a tether which hasn't given any problems that I'm aware of. There are 700 miles on the sled.

Thanks in advance for any help.

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What kind of tether did you install? I put one on my 2011 last year and it started acting up after four or five rides. Disconnected it under the hood and and it fired right up.

rizzman

Reaction score
I'm not sure what kind of tether it is. I believe it's been installed since day one, but I bought the sled used so I'm not sure. I'll keep that in mind if it happens again.

I haven't had the chance to ride since the 'no start', issue happened. I'm heading out on Monday so will put some more miles on her then. I have the kill switch disabled so I just have to get used to shutting the machine off with the key.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I honestly can't see the kill switch making it hard to turn over. How hard is it to pull over by the pull start now that it will start?

rizzman

Reaction score
I honestly can't see the kill switch making it hard to turn over. How hard is it to pull over by the pull start now that it will start?

It starts fine now. Pulling it is easy and it starts up right away. I haven't ridden much, but the few miles I've put on since the incident, it has started and shut down many times. Just short blasts out to my neighbour's place or out to the lake. I've used the electric start and the rope and it starts fine. It's definitely a weird thing.

The kill switch didn't make it hard to pull over, it made it not start. I think the service guy was telling me that there is a problem somewhere where the sled still acted like the kill switch was engaged. That would account for the rope being harder to pull. Not impossible, just harder than usual. If that makes sense.

Top Bottom