2011 yamaha nytro mtx electrical problems?

Heathermcdonald

Reaction score
So about a month and a half ago I bought a brand new 2011 yamaha nytro mtx... I was having issues with the throttle cable and kept getting error 84 but finally got that fixed... Now I just put 600 miles on it and two days ago I took it out and was in some deep powder and it started going crazy... First code 81 flashed up and so I turned off hand Warmers off but still said error... Next the dash would keep flashin on and off and then the machine would just die did this several times... Then little yellow light popped on and also oil and temp light came on but both were fine... It would always start back up and then all of a sudden it stopped doing that and was fine for the rest of the day... What should I do if it happens again?

climbmax

Team Thunderstruck
Reaction score
Check the Guage in Diagnostic Function to see what Codes came up. Did you put a riser or steering relocate kit on the bars?

RS

Heathermcdonald

Reaction score
Nope my local Yamaha store put it all together for me and I haven't changed anything since... Also error 81 is a hand warmer error

Heathermcdonald

Reaction score
yeah iv talked to several guys and all i get is they have never seen it do this before... i was just trying to see if i could find someone that knew what to do about it cause i dont really wanna keep spending the money to take it in

luvdiggin

Reaction score
HI there i know this is an older post but i am just curious what the solution to your problem was i have this exact problem happening on my 2010 nytro. Im thinking of changing out both heating elements since i cant seem to visually find the problem. going to check it with my ohm meter tonight but since it is killing the machine im worried that the problem is deeper than this. any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

trentz

Reaction score
84 is a TORS issue, I think. A safety feature based on runaway throttle. It overrides throttle input because it's determined there's a discrepancy in the throttle linkage system...TPS and flipper connections are usually the problems.

luvdiggin

Reaction score
Thanks trentz do you happen to know more about code 81 for the hand warmers. it is killing my sled i cant make it more than 5 feet and i lose all electrical power to the sled i tested both grip elements and they were shot so i replaced them today and still having the issue. also the thumb warmer does work and i can adjust it properly on the display but when i push down on the button for the hand warmers it will not show up on the screen so im guessing my switch isnt working properly but not sure how to test it. also why would all 3 go at the same time. this makes me thing that there may be a relay somewhere that has gone and burnt up both elements.

towerrigger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There was an issue with the wiring harness rubbing on engine behind the clutch. That could be the issue. You could also try disconnecting the hand warmers and thumb warmers right at the harness and see how it runs. They are tucked up in beside headlight. Both sides I believe.

Attachments

• DSC02924-1.jpg
    DSC02924-1.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 172

YamaDad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In my 10000km or so I have never had a Yamaha issue. What I have had is aftermarket stuff, such as the teather switch give grief, and a mechanic failed to tighten the negative battery terminal. Check that sort of thing, and disconnect the tether (put it back to stock) and see if the problem goes away. The grips are the worst thing on the sled, but they won't affect the engine.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Top Bottom