2011 renegade charging and battery issues.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wifes quad starting acting up on may long. Went for a ride and after starting it a few times that morning before the ride it started fine. We start to leave and all of is sudden it wont start. Just a click. So we puh it back in the trailer and the wife rides my quad the rest of the day. We get back and the quad fires right up. :dunno: So today I figure I better fill up the low tire and make sure it runs for the jamboree this weekend. Again no fire and a low battery warning on the dash. Ok pull it off the trailer and onto the hoist. Finally after some charging the battery , the quad will start up. Problem now it is overcharging and shutting down. I ran it a little longer and now have the battery tender on it, and will see what it does in the next day or so. I have confirmed that it was overcharging with a multimeter. It was up to 16 volts plus when revved up. Connections look ok but if it is doing the same thing tomorrow Ill have to take all the connections apart and clean before we take it to the dealer. Does anyone know if the BEST warranty will cover a battery and regulator/rectifier?

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have 2008 Renegade 800 -- Charging system acted up all 2008 --- dead battery on trail --- took it in 2 times claimed no problem sent it back to us --- in 2009 battery was dead - they said it was improperly stored - BS - ---- Charging has been a pain in the ass even up to today --- travel with a spare battery-as we can not trust that quads charging ------- problem is it drops charging to 12 volts under 1000 rpm above 1000rpm it is 13.5 volts --- so it can not sit and idle at all

warrentb68

Reaction score
Having issues with my 09 800 Gade too…my battery just doesn't charge worth a ****. I will plow snow for a couple of hours then my Low Battery shows up on the display, makes no sense cause my Rpm's are up there and i use the winch for the plow but the battery slowly discharges…piss me off!!

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check to see what voltage you have at the battery when it's running. A battery that is weak will lose its charge quickly and never charge fully.

floogan

Reaction score
First of all charge battery all the way ....if doesnt come fully back to life replace it ...DONT GET A DURABATT/POWER SPORT OR ANY KNOCK OFF BATTERYS ALL ARE GARBAGE!!!
Get a yuasa battery ...yes they are more expensive but they are the best.fully charge before install.

floogan

Reaction score
NEXT- Connect a multimeter when unit is idling ...if it reads 15 volts and above it usually means your voltage regulator is shot-try clean connections first + if it smells burnt on connections is another good tell... If it reads 12.9v-14.9v its most likely your battery or dirty connection-clean dirty connection with baking soda/water mix and wire brush. and if it reads less then 12 v you need to test your stator system(alternator) which is a resistance test use multimeter (find specs online as each models can be different)

Top Bottom