2011 m8 bog off idle

Cummins1

Reaction score
Looking for help to troubleshoot my M8. ocational bog off idle when warm, especially if engine has been shut off for a few minutes, engine does not die, idles fine , I stab the throttle a few times, it then clears up and rips, no issues with midrange or top end power. No issues with starting either. I checked power valves this fall, very clean, 5000km. never had the engine apart. any help is appreciated. Thanks.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is this something out of the norm that you noticed or always been there? Reason being with the ones that I owned always seemed to load up on fuel on the bottom end. I ran a pipe and fuel controllers on 2 of them and the fuel controller helps. Is the sled stock?

Jayste

Reaction score
Welcome to Cat 800's, my '10M8, different buddy 's '12XF, '14M8000 & '09HCR all do it. The HCR did the oil delete and thinks it helped. I'm just used to it now, but have had a couple occasions where it got me into trouble or should I say would of got me out of trouble if it wouldn't of bogged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 09 does that too.

If you figure it out let us know.

So far I've changed reeds. No change.
Disconnected the TPS. No change.
Today I rebuilt the secondary. New spring and rollers. And a new primary went it. With a new y pipe and can. Ran out of time to try it. But if the bog goes away I'll blame sticky clutching.

mountianguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for help to troubleshoot my M8. ocational bog off idle when warm, especially if engine has been shut off for a few minutes, engine does not die, idles fine , I stab the throttle a few times, it then clears up and rips, no issues with midrange or top end power. No issues with starting either. I checked power valves this fall, very clean, 5000km. never had the engine apart. any help is appreciated. Thanks.

One thing to do is always let it idle down after a wot run. lots dont and will pull up to the group and shut down and you will get a pop out the exhaust which is too much fuel and when they start up, the sled will bog until it cleans the fuel out. A low idle speed,loose throttle cable,broken or chipped reed,broken primary spring,worn belt,worn or sticky clutchs will cause a bog. As yours is occasional you can rule out some of the causes hopefully one helps. Good luck

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine did it for three years, just the nature of the beast, once i put a pc5 on and full exhaust with intake the bog went away

Sent from my iPhone because I'm sledding or to lazy to get off the couch

Cummins1

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies folks, no engine mods other than an SLP can, Primary clutch and spring are in very good shape. I have not looked at the reeds and I usually let it idle for 10-15 secs after hard pulls. Engine did not bog when I bought it so I think I will start with reeds.

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put a 30 dollar timing key in mine and it worked great after that, advanced it by 2.2 degree's

mtm

Reaction score
5000 kms, its your primary rollers if you haven't replaced the clutch. Fought mine all last year, rips with a new primary this year.

Top Bottom