2011 arctic cat mud pro throttle essue

drumud

Reaction score
Hello every one. Im trying too help my brother get his new quad ready for the sundre poker rally. The problem is the quad will start but as soon a you touch the throttle it bogs out. Ive had this problem before with my quad and i cleaned out the carb and then my quad worked fine. So i go too his quad and clean out the carb, Take it apart and cleaned it. Sure enough it works. But not for long. So im thinking its running off the carb cleaner. I went to go find the fuel fillter but all i can find is a part that should be a fuel fillter but cant open it. Also theres clamps on it that ive never seen. He has lost his quad in a creek before. And most recent a mud pit. In both the quad stalled out. We replaced the oil many times, New spark plug. By the way the oil was milky after both sinkings. If anyone has ideas that can plz post. Im running out of ideas.

drumud

Reaction score
Do you mean the one on the handle. If so ive checked. No help moving it. Seems like any little throttle it craps out.

tool_man

Reaction score
Fuel filter is right above fuel tank, you have to cut bands off to replace. The arctic cat one comes with new clamps but an automotive style with hose clamps will work as well.

drumud

Reaction score
Thanks for a quick replay. I will check the engine codes. Simtimes things go crazy and I disconnect the computer and all good. But right now im going on test run. Got it running cleaning carb again. Also noticed it assent burning all the fuel. Turns out he wasent running 97gas. So we bought some octan booster. Going on test run. I'll let U guys know what happens. Thanks agian.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I'm guessing it's a 650 mp because that is the only one with a carb. It has no tps or codes to read as it is not Efi. There is a float bowl drain line on the bottom of the carb. Water can get in there even when the screw is closed. Put a one way vacuum check valve on it to stop this.when you cleaned the carb did you put the pms back together correctly? Washer-oring-spring. Is the diaphragm seated properly ? Sometimes helps to put it in the freezer for a couple of hours to help keep it's shape. Make sure the the vent lines from the tank and the carb are clear and are still run up to the pod. It has a vacuum pulse fuel pump as well so make sure it is pumping fuel when it is turning over. Check all your intake boot connections to be sure there are no cracks or air leaks.Make sure the float is set correctly. If you or him has been in the fuse box make sure the diodes have been put back in correctly with all the arrows facing the same direction as the case. Di-electric grease all your electrical connections
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343269237.170808.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343269455.669558.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343269495.119573.jpg

http://www.allthingsmoto.com/forums...carburetor-float-level-more-commentary-13608/

http://www.gadgetjq.com/keihin_carb.htm

drumud

Reaction score
So I'm guessing it's a 650 mp because that is the only one with a carb. It has no tps or codes to read as it is not Efi. There is a float bowl drain line on the bottom of the carb. Water can get in there even when the screw is closed. Put a one way vacuum check valve on it to stop this.when you cleaned the carb did you put the pms back together correctly? Washer-oring-spring. Is the diaphragm seated properly ? Sometimes helps to put it in the freezer for a couple of hours to help keep it's shape. Make sure the the vent lines from the tank and the carb are clear and are still run up to the pod. It has a vacuum pulse fuel pump as well so make sure it is pumping fuel when it is turning over. Check all your intake boot connections to be sure there are no cracks or air leaks.Make sure the float is set correctly. If you or him has been in the fuse box make sure the diodes have been put back in correctly with all the arrows facing the same direction as the case. Di-electric grease all your electrical connections
View attachment 133576
View attachment 133577
View attachment 133578

How To Set Your Motorcycle Carburetor Float Level (more commentary).

Care & Feeding Of The Keihin Carb

Thanks. Its going too take me awhile to check every thing you said and yes your right, Its the one with the carb. No codes to read. The bowl drain line i flushed out. I will put a check valve in it. Thank you for telling me. It makes sence. It does have the vacume pulse fuel pump. Thats the thing i never seen and thought was the fillter. Seems too work ok. Also i will check fuse agian. But after test run every thing ran ok. Not awsome but ok. Just one time where we went into small hole where he pinned it and it lagged out. After that i brought it back into shop and noticed the throttle setting was set too high for breaking in the engine. Theres just sooo much fuel being put in thats not burning. Also with 87 gas and not 97 91 i just wasent burning. i hope thats the problem. But i can see how what you have said can gum ch!t up too. So it wont hurt trying. Thanks again. Ill let you know if it all works out and hope too see you guys at the poker rally. Let me know if your going and ill buy you a beer :beer:

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
87 octane is the best fuel for that engine. Cat uses a wasted spark ignition system which means it fires on every revolution tdc intake and tdc exhaust so you will get detonation with higher octane fuel as the timing is factory at about 10degrees btdc. This will be my first year in three that I will miss the rally. I'll take you up on that beer next year lol. Make sure the float bowl is spotless and all three jets are cleaned with carb cleaner and compressed air.

Last edited:
Top Bottom