2009 m8 snopro runs rough

Battlescar

Reaction score
PICKED UP A 2009 m8 SNOPRO from a friend who does NOT beat up his sleds. Even before I bought it, whenever we met up during a ride, I noticed his sled idled rough and seem to smoke more than the other sleds. I assumed it was just a little bug needing a quick fix. Well we all know what "assume" stands for don't we.
Since I bought the sled, I've used only AC oil, replaced the reeds and set the oil pump to spec. It still has a rough idle, plugs are really carboned up and belly pan shows major black transfer at the exhaust. The engine just doesn't have that 2 stroke ring to it (if you know what I mean).I'm now thinking of pinching off the oil line and trying a premix in the tank but I'm not sure if that will damage the engine.

Your thoughts pls..

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
PICKED UP A 2009 m8 SNOPRO from a friend who does NOT beat up his sleds. Even before I bought it, whenever we met up during a ride, I noticed his sled idled rough and seem to smoke more than the other sleds. I assumed it was just a little bug needing a quick fix. Well we all know what "assume" stands for don't we.
Since I bought the sled, I've used only AC oil, replaced the reeds and set the oil pump to spec. It still has a rough idle, plugs are really carboned up and belly pan shows major black transfer at the exhaust. The engine just doesn't have that 2 stroke ring to it (if you know what I mean).I'm now thinking of pinching off the oil line and trying a premix in the tank but I'm not sure if that will damage the engine.

Your thoughts pls..

What kind of shape is your exhaust doughnut in?

I'm in the middle of doing an Injection delete on my M1000...lots of info and opinions on the delete and whether you need to continue providing lubrication to the oil Pump/Water Pump drive gears and bushings. BDX Delete install directions state to add 1 oz of injection oil, install the delete part and then block off the bottom Oil Pump feed hole. Lots of opinions out there as to whether this area between the two crank bearings gets enough pre-mix oil after doing the delete and blocking off the original feed hole.

Beyond that issue, I would wonder what would happen to the Oil Pump internals if it was being driven from the crank and there was no oil going through the pump.

Hopefully i will have my sled running by tomorrow afternoon and will be able to provide some feed back on the injection delete.

Pilsner

Reaction score
PICKED UP A 2009 m8 SNOPRO from a friend who does NOT beat up his sleds. Even before I bought it, whenever we met up during a ride, I noticed his sled idled rough and seem to smoke more than the other sleds. I assumed it was just a little bug needing a quick fix. Well we all know what "assume" stands for don't we. Since I bought the sled, I've used only AC oil, replaced the reeds and set the oil pump to spec. It still has a rough idle, plugs are really carboned up and belly pan shows major black transfer at the exhaust. The engine just doesn't have that 2 stroke ring to it (if you know what I mean).I'm now thinking of pinching off the oil line and trying a premix in the tank but I'm not sure if that will damage the engine. Your thoughts pls..
Have you calculated the injection ratio? Are you getting full RPM? Check the vent tube from the ECU, make sure it isn't plugged or pinched.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2009 M8's were notorious for sticking oil pumps! Even though the linkage can be set right to spec, the return spring on the pump does not return fully (or does lazily) when the throttle is released. Oil ratio at full throttle will be right, but will be way rich at all other throttle settings.

check this first!

Top Bottom