2009 Can am outlander 800r power commander YES or NO

lander800

Reaction score
Just a quick question. I have a 09 outlander 800r and I have a slip on muffler from NPP and going to install the factory snorkel kit, do I need to run the Power Commander or something along that line.
What would be recommended?

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The power commander is a good box and compliments a exhaust change to get the most out of the pipe. Ask NPP what box and fuel map they were running or if his slip on even requires one.

lander800

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. What about the snorkel, do I have to do anything with that. I have heard that you have to run some kind of programmer or chip to change the fuel because the air flow is different. Is that true or is a bunch of crap.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. What about the snorkel, do I have to do anything with that. I have heard that you have to run some kind of programmer or chip to change the fuel because the air flow is different. Is that true or is a bunch of crap.

I have nothing to base this on other than looking at the factory snorkel a few times, but I dont see how it changes the air flow, it snorkels into the airbox, no changes to the engine side from what I can see, but I guess one never knows.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 06 to 08's were fine with a slip-on and no controller. The 09 and newer R motors will run lean with a slip-on and no controller.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I'd be more concerned of putting the muffler on without a programmer and running the engine lean like DaveB said. I'd do some homework on the muffler and see what fuel map that may be required.
I ran a high flow intake on my King Quad before I added the power commander and HMF pipe, and know some guys with BRP 800 running the snorkel with out the programmer, I don't think you'll have to be concerned about it.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The restriction in the Can Am's air intake is in the stock filter, through the stock throttle body and intake....taking the lid off the airbox or any other mods doesn't change things on the dyno much. (you can pinch it down, but you won't make it flow more with snorkels)

lander800

Reaction score
I am running the K&N filter on the quad also, I will check with NPP and see what he says. I did price out the Power Commander V with the auto tune and the lcd display. Would you recommend running all three items? I just do not want to lean it out and blow up the engine.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The K&N changed nothing. It's the free flowing exhaust that will make it lean. it won't blow up....just run real hot and eventually hurt the motor.

lander800

Reaction score
With the power commander would you recommend having a dealer doing the work or is it something that someone could do him self.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Installation is easy. Tuning is a bit more difficult. You could likely get close with a pre-made map, but better esults can be had by a custom tune. Pretty sure NPP does this. If he doesn't, I know he build exhausts for these guys and can do it:

Top Bottom