2008 800 dragon intermittent spark urgent

TheBCSledder

Reaction score
Hey guys, so here is the deal: my 08 Dragon ran awesome up untill yesterday when I went to start it: I pulled and pulled and nothing happened. Pulled the plugs, they were wet, put in new ones, still nothing. Checked for spark, nothing. So I unplugged the key switch, and it fired right up. Must have been a coincidence though, cause today the same thing is happening plugged or not. I have tried unplugging the kill switch on the handle bars (I assume that is how to bypass the switch). I also hooked an ohm meter to the wires at the plug coming from the switch (Black, Brown, Grey): when I hooked to the black and brown wires, I got an open circuit reading no matter if the switch was in the run pos. or not, unless I pushed down hard, then I would get a 0 or "closed circuit" reading, which I understand to be opposite to what it should be? Any input would be very much appreciated as I am leaving on a trip to the mountains next weekend. Thanks in advance.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Have you tried putting dielectric grease on the connections?

TheBCSledder

Reaction score
Good thought. I checked the stater and everything seems fine ohm wise, although I don't know what the reading should be for the brown/white wire. I'm swapping a VR from an 09 into it tomorrow and will let you guys know what happens.

TheBCSledder

Reaction score
Swapped VR still seemed intermittent, swapped back, runs on original one. Now seem to be getting good white hot spark. Starts with some difficulty at times still and sometimes idles low till revved. Problem fixed? I guess time will tell. Always super annoying and scary when I have no idea what seemed to solve a problem :confused::scared:

Top Bottom