2007 Polaris Scrambler Issue

ScubaSteve29

Reaction score
I have a 2007 Polaris Scrambler, full exhaust (correctly jetted), clutch kit, and K&N air filter.

When I am driving through water, when the water reaches approx the top of the clutch cover, the quad will start to sputter, and if you go any deeper will die completely. While it is at the sputtering water height, it will idle fine, but any throttle will cause it to die.

It is not a wet belt issue, I have checked. I have tried to spray the quad while it's being revved to troubleshoot, but to no avail.

Once you take the quad to shallower water, it will sputter for a minute until it dries out, and then no issues after that. There is no water in the oil.

I took it to the dealership, they charged me a pile of money, and diagnosed it as a cracked stator cover. They fixed it and cleaned out the stator. But, the quad still does the exact same thing as before.

I know my quad used to be able to do deeper water, as I have taken it to the seat (carefully), without any issues.

I have no idea what could be causing this issue, but it seems to me to be electrical. Any suggestions from you experts would be greatly appreciated.

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been there twice. Remove front cover (hood) and fill all the wire connectors with dielectric grease, then silicon spray the connector once they are back together. It is usually the white connector that is the problem.

ScubaSteve29

Reaction score
Appreciate the info!
I've done what you recommended. Definetely some dirt inside the connectors, especially the large white one.
Nothing to do now but find a big puddle and see what she does.

Thanks again.

ScubaSteve29

Reaction score
Been there twice. Remove front cover (hood) and fill all the wire connectors with dielectric grease, then silicon spray the connector once they are back together. It is usually the white connector that is the problem.

Did this, unfortunately having the same issue as before. Any other suggestions?

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would make sure the stator cover is sealed; there is a drain plug on the bottom of the cover. Water usually enters the cover past the starter rope/handle. I use RTV silicone to seal the handle to the cover.

I would also use dielectric grease and silicone spray where the stator plugs into the main wire harness, above the stator cover and under the air box.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
make sure the foam piece at the front of your seat is in place. If not steam from your engine will go past the seat and into your air intake. This will casue the engine to choke out. Have seen it quite a bit.

Top Bottom