2006 650 arctic cat eatin coolant

hughie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hardly any miles, engines eatin coolant, anyone else have this problem with these quads, my buddy can pick one up cheap, he's just wonderin if it a simple head gasket or a common problem and big fix, since it's a cat I know nothing about them, HELP ME PLEASE

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hardly any miles, engines eatin coolant, anyone else have this problem with these quads, my buddy can pick one up cheap, he's just wonderin if it a simple head gasket or a common problem and big fix, since it's a cat I know nothing about them, HELP ME PLEASE

Are you sure it's not an external leak? Is there white smoke out of the exhuast? Is there coolant in the oil? How much coolant is it using?

If it is internal, it could a head gasket, cracked or warped head or cylinder. Could also be a bad casting. If it is a slow leak, the harder question might be where or which cylinder?

Pressurize the cooling system and check for leak down and try to find the leak externally. Pull the spark plugs; coolant will leave white spots/specks on the insulator of the spark plug.

A cylinder leak down test might also isolate which cylinder it is if it is internal.

A bad rad cap can leave the impression of coolant loss similar to a gasket, cylinder or head leak if it only does it as the engine warms up.

Usually with an internal leak, combustion gasses contaminate the coolant. Having a sample of the coolant tested in a lab should confirm an internal leak. You usually must ask the lab to check for combustion by-products.

First place I would look is the weep hole on the water pump.

One trick I use if I am looking for an external leak on a warmed dry engine is use of a cold mirror. I place my inspection mirror in the freezer for 10 minutes then run it along all possible locations for external leaks. The smallest vapour/steam leak will fog the mirror. I disable the fan while testing with a mirror.

hughie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you sure it's not an external leak? Is there white smoke out of the exhuast? Is there coolant in the oil? How much coolant is it using?

If it is internal, it could a head gasket, cracked or warped head or cylinder. Could also be a bad casting. If it is a slow leak, the harder question might be where or which cylinder?

Pressurize the cooling system and check for leak down and try to find the leak externally. Pull the spark plugs; coolant will leave white spots/specks on the insulator of the spark plug.

A cylinder leak down test might also isolate which cylinder it is if it is internal.

A bad rad cap can leave the impression of coolant loss similar to a gasket, cylinder or head leak if it only does it as the engine warms up.

Usually with an internal leak, combustion gasses contaminate the coolant. Having a sample of the coolant tested in a lab should confirm an internal leak. You usually must ask the lab to check for combustion by-products.

First place I would look is the weep hole on the water pump.

One trick I use if I am looking for an external leak on a warmed dry engine is use of a cold mirror. I place my inspection mirror in the freezer for 10 minutes then run it along all possible locations for external leaks. The smallest vapour/steam leak will fog the mirror. I disable the fan while testing with a mirror.
thanks for info, it's definately going through the motor, just wondering if these quads were known for having some of the bigger issues that you mentioned internally, thanks again for the info

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Internal coolant leaks are rare unless it has been overheated badly, or the head has been shaved down to increase compression ratio, or the top end has been re-assembled improperly.

Make sure you use new OEM head gaskets and the proper torque sequence when you re-assemble the top end.

ruggalo

Reaction score
simple problem all it is is a head gasket.mine did it once(to much nos)and the stock one sucks were the new replacement is way better

Captjacksparrow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It will likely be a head gasket. I have a KFX 700 with an 800 kit(same motor as the 650 cats) and I've had to do a few head gaskets but my problem is similar to ruggalo, too much nitrous:doh:. It does happen to stock motors too, but it's not a common problem.

ruggalo

Reaction score
It will likely be a head gasket. I have a KFX 700 with an 800 kit(same motor as the 650 cats) and I've had to do a few head gaskets but my problem is similar to ruggalo, too much nitrous:doh:. It does happen to stock motors too, but it's not a common problem.

thank gawd im not the ony one...we got a 700 stroker to solve power problems now(built for boost/spray)

Top Bottom