2005 900 electrical fault

Reaction score
My 05 900 has an electrical fault, the guages went blank, headlight and tail lights are very dim, checked the ground at the left kick panel, looked at all of the connections i can see. Anybody know where to test the charging system from, the regulator is hard to access.

Danbot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, dig into her... regulator, capacitor, stator, wiring. Good time to either adjust the position of the regulator, or re-locate your fuel tank bolts rearward 1/2". The tank sights tightly up against the regulator wiring in stock position, easy to fix.
It's also common for shorted out handwarmers to cause grief. Unplug them just incase that changes anything, but for sure test them before you put any new electronics to use... would be hateful to cook something again because of this.

Reaction score
Thanks, thats good info. I'll try unplugging the hand warmers first. If thats not it, do you know the proper test procedure for the regulator? Resistance value or do i have to test it for voltage with the engine running?

Danbot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks, thats good info. I'll try unplugging the hand warmers first. If thats not it, do you know the proper test procedure for the regulator? Resistance value or do i have to test it for voltage with the engine running?

Sounds like you could use a service manual..... CLICK HERE to download a PDF copy.

Reaction score
Thats Awsome, I was going to order 1 from the dealer today, this saves me time and money. Thanks.

Reaction score
You were right Danbot...Left side hand warmer shorted out due to being pinched by the gold finger. Thanks for all of your help.:d

Danbot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You were right Danbot...Left side hand warmer shorted out due to being pinched by the gold finger. Thanks for all of your help.:d

So all your guages and stuff started working again when you unplugged it? Awesome

Reaction score
Yup....Everything came back to life instantly. Repaired the damaged wire and even the hand warmer works. The service manual is great, Its a must have to do anything. Lots of good info.

Top Bottom