2003 viper mtx anyone?? good?

icefisher

Reaction score
i have been looking around and i found a 03 sx viper 700 stretched to a 159 anyone ride anything like this? let me know what you think.

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats a great sled!! awesome motor too.. put a set of tripple pipes on it and a few of the free do it yourself mods for that sled.. and i dont think u would be dissapointed.. i think u can get around 170hp no problem and with out spending alot of money.. and they handled good too!!

thats just my 0.02c

TravisFader

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well im riding an 04 viper which is also stretched out to 159. rides nice, what do you wanna know?

icefisher

Reaction score
well i was just wondering how the motors were because i just had to redo crank bearings in my ski doo 600 triple and i was wondering if there were any problems with these or just anything you like and anything you dont like. it has 4500 km on it and bender triple pipes and a holzman altitude compensator on it. with 2.5 track. i might have some clutching questions for you fellas if i do end up buying it. thanks alot

Rufer19

Reaction score
You better just go and buy it up there icefisher. Get off that big ol' fat wallet of yours.

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi icefisher
I have a 97 mm for 10 yrs same engine as a viper a few mods but the same bullet proof. If u are playing with the clutch do one thing at a time change the spring in the primary first and change the weights but be careful because if u change the weights to much u could rev out to much & blow the engine. I think if u change the weights to heaveir the engine will engage at a higher rpm. Check with doug over at parkland in stoney plain great nolege for free, he has a mod 97 mm to a 151" track & this would be very simular to the viper. The main thing I no about the viper is the new style of engine over the mm is the valves & they need to be cleaned about every 1000 km. Great sled i've had yamaha for years Heavier sled but I haven't been towed out yet, if u don't want to be the king of the hill but drive down under your own power buy it & good luck. Before u change things see whats been done first and then start to play with it u may not need to change anything. Let me know how it goes.
Barry

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi icefisher
I have a 97 mm for 10 yrs same engine as a viper a few mods but the same bullet proof. If u are playing with the clutch do one thing at a time change the spring in the primary first and change the weights but be careful because if u change the weights to much u could rev out to much & blow the engine. I think if u change the weights to heaveir the engine will engage at a higher rpm. Check with doug over at parkland in stoney plain great nolege for free, he has a mod 97 mm to a 151" track & this would be very simular to the viper. The main thing I no about the viper is the new style of engine over the mm is the valves & they need to be cleaned about every 1000 km. Great sled i've had yamaha for years Heavier sled but I haven't been towed out yet, if u don't want to be the king of the hill but drive down under your own power buy it & good luck. Before u change things see whats been done first and then start to play with it u may not need to change anything. Let me know how it goes.
Barry

If you add more wieght then it should engage at a lower RPM. I don't know about blowing the motor, those triples like to rev high, not unheard of to rev 9800 on a triple. My big triple revs 9250 RPM at wide open, I never take my twin past 8100 RPM.

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:d heres my three bits.... viper engines. are awesome, wouldnt be afraid of one with a long track kit on... they work well with pipes. should be reving about 82-8400 with bender, they rock pretty hard... also when u add weight to the clutch its drops your rpm...as it is more work to turn over... and the opposite for lighter weights ....fyi... you should i agree check your gearing to ensure its set up for the 159 track. heres a couple of things i would recommend you consider for the yamaha triples.

you get a true 30 hp gain with triples and the stk hp is about 125 so your close to 160 hp...course there other things like v force reeds etc that you can get.

put a primer bulb under the hood for spring starts and a fuel shut off valve, it will save you a bunch of headaches.. only thing with the yamahas is they take a few pulls to getgoing at the beginning of the season..

tons...options...any questions feel free to ask.

T

Last edited:

TravisFader

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
whats it supposed to be geared for the 159 track there Terry? Might be a good thing to know/Check

icefisher

Reaction score
wow i posed this thread in nov 09 and loan be told i am going to pick up a 04 viper this weekend over a year later. might have some questions after i get it. thanks for all the good info from befor also.

icefisher

Reaction score
got the viper home and started working. cant believe how gross the power valves were. its an 04 with 1200 km on it. they were probably never cleaned. took it for my first ride around here and thought it was ok, no speed demon but torquie. looked down at the tach and i was revving 9600 no problem without holding it. this is with stock pipe. figured that was way too high so just put 4.5 in the tip and now i am down to about 8900 and gained 25kph, still good bottom end. do you think i should throw some more weight at it? i like the torque but would like more speed. but i know i cant have everything.everything is stock. what do you think? dont really know anything about helix's

snowdad4

Reaction score
1 gram of weight usually reduced rpm by about 300. more weight could help.

belt condition and clutch condition can also factor in the equation, as will snow conditions.

loosening the pretension on the secondary helix can increase the shift and load the motor quicker also reducing rpms, as will a shallower angle helix.

your sled should have a 45* helix and set at 70(6-1). you could try changing to 60(3-3). easier than re-riveting the primary and worth a shot.

dogbreath

Reaction score
:d heres my three bits.... viper engines. are awesome, wouldnt be afraid of one with a long track kit on... they work well with pipes. should be reving about 82-8400 with bender, they rock pretty hard... also when u add weight to the clutch its drops your rpm...as it is more work to turn over... and the opposite for lighter weights ....fyi... you should i agree check your gearing to ensure its set up for the 159 track. heres a couple of things i would recommend you consider for the yamaha triples.

you get a true 30 hp gain with triples and the stk hp is about 125 so your close to 160 hp...course there other things like v force reeds etc that you can get.

put a primer bulb under the hood for spring starts and a fuel shut off valve, it will save you a bunch of headaches.. only thing with the yamahas is they take a few pulls to getgoing at the beginning of the season..

tons...options...any questions feel free to ask.

T
so i got an o4 diaper with a bender 4+4 and a can. 144" track . it has stock gearing i'm assuming .. what weights and spring should i have for riding revy? jetting also?? helix?? thx

Top Bottom