2003 summit 600

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So i am doing a top end job for a friend and i dont have a lot of doo experiance. i was wondering what kind of pistons to use. I was told that wiscos dont work so well due to cylinder cleances. we were just looking for a cheaper rebuild cause $180 per piston is way to much for a doo piston. any info would be great thanks.

Last edited:

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had new pistons installed in my 03 600 Summit a couple of years ago and I think the pistons the Doo shop used where SRP (also heard the same story about Wisco). I think the piston kits where $ 80 - $ 90 per kit. The sled has been running great and has not skipped a beat. You are right the Doo pistons are a little too expensive.

Billy Boy:cool:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had new pistons installed in my 03 600 Summit a couple of years ago and I think the pistons the Doo shop used where SRP (also heard the same story about Wisco). I think the piston kits where $ 80 - $ 90 per kit. The sled has been running great and has not skipped a beat. You are right the Doo pistons are a little too expensive.

Billy Boy:cool:

Did you mean SPX?

Wiseco's are forged, stock OEM Doo pistons are cast. Cast are harder and more brittle but will take more abuse and are more dimensionally stable than forged pistons. You will get what you pay for.

Wiseco's are fine, and they are, just make sure that you always warm them up properly because they need more clearance to expand to operating temp, which is why you will notice they have a larger clearance spec when you install them. It all comes down to how you operate your equipment. Many people call them Seizco's because they installed some and them didn't let their sled warm up properly, then blamed the piston when it failed. Always always always warm them up well, if you are one of these guys that starts the sled up and takes off down the trail wide open with no warm up then I would go to cast pistons. If you take care of your stuff and let it warm up good in the morning and after long breaks (like lunch) then wiseco's will probably be OK.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
See the problem i have is the sled aint mine and i have a feeling the guy that owns it is the type to start it and go so i didn't think wiscos would work so well. i know we have had good luck with them in the polaris but thats all i know. I think it looks like we are going to go with doo parts any way thanks for the help guys.

clutchy1

Reaction score
Did you mean SPX?

Wiseco's are forged, stock OEM Doo pistons are cast. Cast are harder and more brittle but will take more abuse and are more dimensionally stable than forged pistons. You will get what you pay for.

Wiseco's are fine, and they are, just make sure that you always warm them up properly because they need more clearance to expand to operating temp, which is why you will notice they have a larger clearance spec when you install them. It all comes down to how you operate your equipment. Many people call them Seizco's because they installed some and them didn't let their sled warm up properly, then blamed the piston when it failed. Always always always warm them up well, if you are one of these guys that starts the sled up and takes off down the trail wide open with no warm up then I would go to cast pistons. If you take care of your stuff and let it warm up good in the morning and after long breaks (like lunch) then wiseco's will probably be OK.

definatly did that, after a fresh rebuild, was not a happy camper, but ya live and learn right!

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have only used BRP pistons.. you get what u pay for. have seen others with aftermarket cheaper pistons hold it wide open for a long period of time, and damage resulted. ive never had an issue, but even good pistons will be damaged without propper warm up.

firecat99

Reaction score
I have a 2000 zx MXZ 600 motor, bored out .40, I take care of my sleds and always warm them up right befor i move them, I went with wiseco on this build, i did it for a buddy and tried to talk him into a different piston, Well i was doin a rich break in at a 50:1 in the tank plus the oil injection running and after about 3 hours of run time breaking it in hard like i do with all my sleds it seized the clutch side but did nothing to the cylinder, cylinder still looked fresh after the over bore, so if your interested i have a almost complete over bore motor that needs one piston my buddy gave the sled to me and i just parted it out cause i find you have to have money in the bank when parts go on a doo haha

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2000 zx MXZ 600 motor, bored out .40, I take care of my sleds and always warm them up right befor i move them, I went with wiseco on this build, i did it for a buddy and tried to talk him into a different piston, Well i was doin a rich break in at a 50:1 in the tank plus the oil injection running and after about 3 hours of run time breaking it in hard like i do with all my sleds it seized the clutch side but did nothing to the cylinder, cylinder still looked fresh after the over bore, so if your interested i have a almost complete over bore motor that needs one piston my buddy gave the sled to me and i just parted it out cause i find you have to have money in the bank when parts go on a doo haha

Did the piston fail or was it a problem with the installation?

Top Bottom