2003 MXZ Electrical Problems

kencayl

Reaction score
Started up my sled for the first time this year and it was idling a little high - Confirmed this through the tach (running around 3k). All electrical (gauge lights, tail light, head light, etc.) worked fine when initially running. Shut it down and pulled the airbox to access the carbs. Put it all back together, and now NO ELECTRICAL! None of the above works (although the sled now idles fine). I traced every wire on that thing twice and had another buddy check as well and everything is connected and intact (that we can see) 100%!! One additional bit, the electronic reverse works fine. I'm hoping to head to "da UP" in a couple of weeks and need any insight thats available.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Started up my sled for the first time this year and it was idling a little high - Confirmed this through the tach (running around 3k). All electrical (gauge lights, tail light, head light, etc.) worked fine when initially running. Shut it down and pulled the airbox to access the carbs. Put it all back together, and now NO ELECTRICAL! None of the above works (although the sled now idles fine). I traced every wire on that thing twice and had another buddy check as well and everything is connected and intact (that we can see) 100%!! One additional bit, the electronic reverse works fine. I'm hoping to head to "da UP" in a couple of weeks and need any insight thats available.

I would say it's your voltage regulator is fried. Mine did the same darn thing, idled like crap (all the lights worked) parked it, next time I fired it up no lights anywhere. Got the advice on S&M to change the voltage regulator and voila when I changed all the lights everything works.

Voltage regulator was $54.00.

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
are you sure it wasnt just idling high because it wasnt warmed up yet? mine idles high for quite a while, until it is warmed up and you give it a little 'blurp' of throttle.

06 Dragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have some problems as welll with an 03 800 summit. The headlight and taillight seem dim and the handle bar warmers don,t seem to work. The thumb warmer works fine, and the machine seems to run fine.Don't mean to hijack the thread, but maybe a common problem.

Top Bottom