2001 Summit 700

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought a 2001 summit last winter for the kids with only 450km. Brought it home and after 5km it backfired a few times and now only runs on the right cylinder. Tried a different coil, plugs and MPEM module and no difference. Tons of spark on the lft side, actually jolt up to the elbow. Any ideas on the problem and where to go next.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No checked that to and 125 on both sides, going to check carbs and reeds next as that side is wet and lots of spark, maybe blew out reeds with the the backfies. Just hoping the cank is not out of phase $$. Bad stator and it should just not run. ?????

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought a 2001 summit last winter for the kids with only 450km. Brought it home and after 5km it backfired a few times and now only runs on the right cylinder. Tried a different coil, plugs and MPEM module and no difference. Tons of spark on the lft side, actually jolt up to the elbow. Any ideas on the problem and where to go next.

Part it out to recoup your loss and buy a Cat...this way when you ride with us you can really enjoy yourself....lol

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm shocked, just totally utterly shocked you could even suggest I head in that direction!!!!!!!!!!!
Get your new sled yet, Dave and I picking ours up on 25th when I'm out of da bush.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm shocked, just totally utterly shocked you could even suggest I head in that direction!!!!!!!!!!!
Get your new sled yet, Dave and I picking ours up on 25th when I'm out of da bush.

lol....no, have not picked them up yet, they're in...they should be ready to go any day now. We are waiting till Stefan gets back from up north later next week.

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Throw an ounce or two of fuel down the left cylinder plug hole and see if it fires, that will take a carb issue out of the equation. if it don't fire a couple rounds on that fuel spray some ether behind the clutch on the crank seal while giving it a pull, if it tries to fire your seal blew out. After trialing those will help determine next steps I would take

02 summit 700

Reaction score
exaust valves may be stuck happend to me

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went to the farm sunday to pick up the summit and start looking at problem. Teaspon of gas in each jug and fired it up and idled at 4000 like last year then it backfires and idles normal. Take it for a ride in the three inches of snow in pasture and it runs fine?????? Does take a bit odf craking to start but ran fine on about six startups. Still going to have a look but thinking maybe choke stuck open with only 500km in 13 years, gumming issues in carb/jets??? Hard to fix something that is not broke but need reliability so will start a little exploring?????

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finally pulled carbs off the sled to check out the problem, one main jet plugged with fuzz and sludge. Cleaned it out and it runs perfect, no more bog or backfiring at all. Rips like a 700 should with only 560km on it. Should last the kids a long time unless it makes friends with a tree.

Top Bottom