2000 formula 3 trouble

pete gads

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i HAVE A 2000 FORMULA 3 SKIDOO THAT LAST WINTER ALL OF A SUDDEN STARTED BACKFIRING AND POPPING A LITTLE AT IDLE BUT ALOT MORE ON THROTTLE.wHEN i GIVE ALITTLE MORE THROTTLE GOING AROUND THE YARD IT SEEMS TO NOT BACKFIRE AS MUCH BUT IS VERY SLUGGISH LIKE ITS NOT FIRING ON ALL CYLINDERS.i HAVE OHMED THE STATOR AND VOLTAGE REG AND EVERYTHING CHECKS FINE,sPARK PLUGS AND CAPS HAVE ALL BEEN REPLACED AND HAS GOOD SPARK ON ALL 3.cHECKED COILS THEY ARE ALL WITHIN RANGE.COMPRESSION TEST SHOWS EVERYTHING GOOD.HEADLIGHTS AND TAILLIGHT ARE DIM AT IDLE BUT BRIGHTEN UP ON THROTTLE AND TACH IS VERY JUMPY.CARBS WERE CHECKED AND ACCORDING TO DEALERSHIP ARE CLEAN AND FUNCTIONING PROPERLY.i LOOKED ENDLESSLY FOR ANY BARE WIRES OR SHORTS THAT MAY BE GROUNDING OUT SOMEWHERE BUT FIND NOTHING.wONDERING IF ANYONE OUT THERE HAS HAD SIMILIAR ISSUES IN THE PAST OR HAS ANY OTHER THOUGHTS OR IDEAS.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pull your reeds your mechanic was lazy. Dollar to doughnuts the reeds are worn right out(not sealing) or chipped........ backfires point straight to reeds.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you got for results on the stator etc but here is the specs. for 809, should be the same for formula 3.
Ignition generator coil

1) White and Red 24-36 ohms
2) White and Blk/Red 3-6 ohms
3) Black and Red O.L.
3) Black and engine 0-.5 ohms

White and Red should make 30.0-50.0 VAC and White and Black/Red should make 4-10 VAC, average of 3 pulls.

Trigger coil
White/Yellow and Black/Yellow 190-270 ohms, output should be .200-.350 VAC, again average of 3 pulls

I'd still suspect the stator, it can check good at rest but give you grief when it's running. I'd try and find a good used one to try.

Top Bottom