2 stroke quads in trails??

Gettin' Muddy

Reaction score
Hey everyones just wondering what you all think about 2 smokers out in the trails for reliability and performance in water, tight wooded trails and some mud.
Quads such as the trx 250r, LT 250r, hell even the blaster. Might buy one just cause they look like fun. But I would love feedback from anybody who has ridden them in terrain like what I stated.
Thanks everyone

Cheers

Ushkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love my banshee in the trails. It hates water for some reason but handled all the creeks and the river crossing out in fallen timber. only thing I dont like is the low clearance in the rear. Poor skid plate didnt like fallen timber very much haha

Gettin' Muddy

Reaction score
yea the banshee needs alot of clutching I've heard but I wouldnt mind giving one a try out at burnt timber or fallen timber. Does it handle mud good at all or is it the same as water where it will just flood your engine

flying frenchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a YFZ 450 as far as clutching goes I think my 450 you were always switching gears . On my Banshee the shifting is very nice and the shifting is way smoother than the 450. I've seen guys with their Banshees go where 4x4s were going, get good tires and the speed will take you. The bike is light and goes like hell. As for suspension it's not the 450 race suspension but that seat makes up for it. It's the best seat in the industry, way better than them 2x4 seat on the 450s or other sport quads.

Gettin' Muddy

Reaction score
I had a YFZ 450 as far as clutching goes I think my 450 you were always switching gears . On my Banshee the shifting is very nice and the shifting is way smoother than the 450. I've seen guys with their Banshees go where 4x4s were going, get good tires and the speed will take you. The bike is light and goes like hell. As for suspension it's not the 450 race suspension but that seat makes up for it. It's the best seat in the industry, way better than them 2x4 seat on the 450s or other sport quads.

that helps alot man thanks but im still leary about it hitting water and mud. How much water can you go through on a banshee?

jay007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode with a buddy for years with an LT 250r, he loved it, didnt seem to have too much trouble with water, and with a set of bearclaws on the rear he could make some pretty good mud holes.

DOAKLEY16

Reaction score
i have a 2002 banshee and its awsome on trails just keep it in the power band and you got no troble. the low clerece kinda sucks but i made a better skid plate and justv rip it up haha!

Gettin' Muddy

Reaction score
im really considering getting a 88 trx 250r what kind of maintanance am i looking at here?

flying frenchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On the Banshee, if it has the stock snorkle then your good till under the seat height. Well if your thinking of getting a 88 250R and you found one than go with that. There a proven bike even in mud and water, there the original Xcountry quad. Hard to find 250Rs are cool bikes, especially an 88 or 89 250R. Good luck.

heyhey

Reaction score
super bump noob question but why would a 2 stroke be more affected by water than a 4 stroke?

SpiceoftheWest

Reaction score
Honda 250Rs are great machines, way ahead of their time. Avoid the Suzuki 250s and Kawasaki tecate-4s though, cant even compare to the Honda. With 20 year old machines, they arent going to be bulletproof machines, chances are you'll be wrenching once you buy one, but it won't require constant maintenance if you look it over and make sure everything's in good order. Restoring my '89 Banshee was a labour of love, but i have no problems with it nowadays, everthing's where it should be. It can't compare to my 400ex on the trails, but a 2 stroke is a different kind of ride altogether. Test drive as many different atvs as you can. 2 strokes are light, simple, fast machines, no oil changes required, many spark plugs required however, but the non-oil burning 2 stroke is on its way, goodbye camshafts forever!

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When it comes to old two strokes hard to beat the ol 250R or a banshee! Two stroked paved the way for us and I wouldn't hesitate to take one anywhere. Water is fine as long as your not using an open air box design. Just look back the to black water races. As much as I love my yfz for its power reliability ergonomics ect I would still drop money on a 1986+ 250R justCuz!!! Always been my favorite quad just never gotOne. Stay away from a blaster unless your a 12 yr old kid'.

Top Bottom