2-place Tongue Extension?

Nick568

Reaction score
Hi all, first post, been lurking for a little while. Love this sub-forum particularly. :d
Anyway, I've got a 8'x8' aluminum 2-place trailer with a big custom salt-shield on it. I'm wanting to extend the tongue so that I can haul a 3rd sled in my bed with the tailgate down. (Can only do it with the tailgate up due to the height of the salt shield) I'd also be extending it so that I can 'jack-knife' the trailer 90 degrees w/o the salt shield hitting the bed, and I figure it'd make it a bit easier to back-up as well.

My question is how do I go about extending the tongue? It's roughly 3"x4" boxed aluminum. My thinking was to take some alumimum tubing the next size up and slide it over the existing tongue so that the existing tongue is about 6" inside the larger tubing or so. What I'm wondering is how to attach it? Would it be okay if I just drill 2-3 holes through the 2 pieces of aluminum and put some beefy bolts in it? Or should I have it welded all the way around at the end?
I'd prefer to just bolt it together if I can since I don't have a welder or welding skills. But I do know a guy who can do the work for a decent price, so if it needs to be welded to be done properly, that's what I'll do.

Oh by the way, I plan to extend the tongue 18"-24."

Here's a picture of what I'm dealing with:

404446_10150455056101370_721821369_8842855_364284966_n.jpg

Thanks for the input!

Last edited:

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would get a 2 ft receiver hitch that is 2 ft long and made of 2x2 solid steel and then your done, I have one and will go take a pic of it in 5 min and repost. Be right back

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here it is, and had hole drilled for the ball with a 1 inch shank and then welded ball and nut to receiver. I pull a 30 enclosed with it loaded and is fine and has not bent yet, good luck

Attachments

• DSCN2730.jpg
    DSCN2730.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well if you are to extend the tongue it should def be welded, and I would make a sleeve so its not just butt welded.

See what the cost is, it may be cheaper to buy a different trailer with a longer tongue, and full size tires.........

Nick568

Reaction score
I don't really want a receiver extension because it won't at all make the trailer easier to back-up. Probably just harder. I figure if I'm going to extend it, I might as well do what I can to make it a bit easier to back-up. I hate backing that thing up as it is now. Plus, I typically leave my receiver in during the week since I ride every weekend I can. Don't want it hanging out two feet.

Yeah, sorry if I didn't explain it well, I would basically be extending it with a sleeve.

I currently have a 3-place, but don't need to haul 3 sleds often enough to justify keeping it. The 2-place is also only 8' wide instead of 8.5' wide so it fits in the garage a lot easier.

I doubt it'd be cheaper to get a different trailer at this point. I really like that big salt-shield (no reason to even mess with covers. It blocks everything), and since 75% of the time I'm only hauling 2 sleds, I think extending the tongue would be the easiest and most cost-effective. Not to mention trailers sell for a BIG premium here in Alaska.
I mean, the materials can't be too expensive, right? I would think I could get this done for $200 including welding.. Or am I way off in my estimation of cost for materials?

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well if you pull that trailer all the time you should be good by now, maybe get a longer/bigger truck and it might help. All I can say is if you are changing specs on a trailer and something BAD happens, you better hope they don't see that the trailer was MODDED. Good luck.....

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cut it like two L's that fit together, and then cut the extension to match, weld it, fish plate it and you are good to go.

Nick568

Reaction score
Well if you pull that trailer all the time you should be good by now, maybe get a longer/bigger truck and it might help. All I can say is if you are changing specs on a trailer and something BAD happens, you better hope they don't see that the trailer was MODDED. Good luck.....

Oh, that is true. I didn't think about insurance and all that. I bet the adjuster wouldn't be too happy if something happened and he went to the shop and saw that it was modified.

Also, I think you might be underestimating what a pain a tiny trailer is to back up... Like I said, I have a 14' 3-place, and that's WAY easier to back up.
I'm planning on selling the 3-place because I could use the $3500 I'd get from it. I don't have the money for, nor do I even remotely need a larger truck... I'm a college student still getting started in life... Believe me, I WISH I could drop the coin for a $50k truck, $15k trailer, and $12k sled...

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I sell you my enclosed for 12 all allum, so your ahead by 3 grand, sell you loaded f350 for 19 grand so ahead another 31,000 and can't help you on my sled I sold tonight for 10,400 so you could of saved a total of 35600 bucks if you go my way and will never have to worry about not being able to back up a 10ft trailer again, DSCN2619.jpg DSCN2687.jpg

I'm just bugging you, I would weld and bolt together if I were to do it. Good luck

Nick568

Reaction score
Haha, some day I will have a big diesel and enclosed.. For now, I'll just have to dream.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want to make it safe and no worries I would go to a trailer place and get them to extend it, that way you are off the hook.

Nick568

Reaction score
Yeah, after what I've heard here and from talking to a few people, I think I will have the sleeve welded. Fortunately the guy I'm going to have weld it is the local Triton distributor, and he's one of the most stand-up guys I've ever met. I'll get the sleeve cut and bolted together myself and then take it to him for the welding. The guy's welds are as consistent and clean as if a robot did them. I have no doubt it'll be structurally sound if the ends are welded. Was just wondering if I could get away without spending the extra money. But I guess as it goes 99% of the time, if safety is questionable, spend the extra coin so that it's no longer questionable..
Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:

f7sp

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was interested in this to. The tongue on my enclosed is short as well and wanted to set it up so I can have sleds on the deck while towing. Was interested in extending it but if I could get a longer extension for the receiver I would go that route. What are these rated for? They look weak

Top Bottom