2 Fort st John residents

krash

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard 2 fsj residents are missing as of 9:00am today aperantly in silver sands! does anyone now anything about it??????? my buddys and I were riding in PK yesterday, when we got to the truck to load up RCMP pulled up and said they recieved a 911 call from a SPOT but they could not pin poit the location. he said the signal was boucing all over,from Tumbler Ridge and down to the States. makes me wounder if those things even work?:( I hope they find those guys!

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard 2 fsj residents are missing as of 9:00am today aperantly in silver sands! does anyone now anything about it??????? my buddys and I were riding in PK yesterday, when we got to the truck to load up RCMP pulled up and said they recieved a 911 call from a SPOT but they could not pin poit the location. he said the signal was boucing all over,from Tumbler Ridge and down to the States. makes me wounder if those things even work?:( I hope they find those guys!
they should have exact coordinates to their location. what happens is a center in texas receives the 911 message, and according to those coordinates they call the closest RCMP to that location, which may well be Tumbler Ridge. sad that the RCMP still doesn't have a handle on how SPOT works, not the first time I've heard of them dropping the ball

I hope the guys are found okay, I know more than a few riders from FSJ

Himark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they should have exact coordinates to their location. what happens is a center in texas receives the 911 message, and according to those coordinates they call the closest RCMP to that location, which may well be Tumbler Ridge. sad that the RCMP still doesn't have a handle on how SPOT works, not the first time I've heard of them dropping the ball

I hope the guys are found okay, I know more than a few riders from FSJ

yep thats how they work, except your missing one more phone call....it goes to RCMP dispatch first then they contact closest local authority. NOT impressed. the officer seemed well verse actually. informed us of the info you just did. said that it isnt the best system. another thing to note...with so many of these things going off accidentally (he said this happens quite a bit) they are now tryin to investigate everything further BEFORE sending out search and rescue. worries me a bit.....
search and rescue went out this morning. call was put in before 2pm for the officer we spoke to was at the PK parking lot at 4:30pm. i have been debating on gettin a spot for years, going to have to pony up and buy the new test message one. the other one is just too risky IMO.

new one just send text message to where you are, how to get there AND they get the gps coordinates.

as of 4pm, no news...

lets keep prayin...

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yep thats how they work, except your missing one more phone call....it goes to RCMP dispatch first then they contact closest local authority. NOT impressed. the officer seemed well verse actually. informed us of the info you just did. said that it isnt the best system. another thing to note...with so many of these things going off accidentally (he said this happens quite a bit) they are now tryin to investigate everything further BEFORE sending out search and rescue. worries me a bit.....
search and rescue went out this morning. call was put in before 2pm for the officer we spoke to was at the PK parking lot at 4:30pm. i have been debating on gettin a spot for years, going to have to pony up and buy the new test message one. the other one is just too risky IMO.

new one just send text message to where you are, how to get there AND they get the gps coordinates.

as of 4pm, no news...

lets keep prayin...
I think they first call your contact number provided to ensure the spot owner is actually out somewhere with the device, but we're just splitting hairs. we punched the button once in Valemount while riding Clemina, buddy broke his back. We sent guys out right away on sleds at the same time and they called Valemount RC's once they were in cell service, they were just getting ready to leave with S&R via heli to the location provided by the spot call center. they were happy to hear from us the specifics of the emergency so they could take only what they needed instead of preparing for every possible scenario. chopper was on the ground at the scene in under 2hrs, I agree the new spot connect should help to get the nature of the emergency through a lot better. My wife knows I'm all over the technology, if she gets the spot call she will inform them that it is really an emergency if I'm pushin' the button.

I should mention, that the fellas called buddy's wife that owned the spot right after the call to the RCMP....she was freaked out. she got the call from the spot center and then had to wait for an update. I could see that part being pretty scary for the better half.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fingers crossed that they are ok.

krash

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good thing nobody was hurt,aperantly they got lost but they found their way out the next morning!

Top Bottom