1998 Ski Doo Touring LE 440 Rotax

Shooster

Reaction score
Hello All,

I just bought a very mint (showroom condition) 1998 Ski Doo Touring LE 440 Rotax (fan cooled) with 1000 miles on it (came up from the states) for ice fishing out at the lake.

What should I expect out of it in terms of top end?

I had it out for the first time today...it seems to be running quite rich...when one goes to start out...you have to crack the throttle and hold it there otherwise it bogs down and quits. If one cracks the throttle and eases into it, RPM's come up eventually...15ish seconds!!!...and off it goes.

Trouble is, it tops out at about 35 miles per hour (I saw 41 MPH once on a hard packed road that was slightly downhill!!!)...and it will do this at 1/3rd throttle or wide open...there doesn't seem to be any difference in engine output.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be the issue here?

I don't expect this thing to be any sort of a rocket, but one would think it should perform better than this...no?!!!?

Thanks in advance,

Shooster

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I just bought a very mint (showroom condition) 1998 Ski Doo Touring LE 440 Rotax (fan cooled) with 1000 miles on it (came up from the states) for ice fishing out at the lake.

What should I expect out of it in terms of top end?

I had it out for the first time today...it seems to be running quite rich...when one goes to start out...you have to crack the throttle and hold it there otherwise it bogs down and quits. If one cracks the throttle and eases into it, RPM's come up eventually...15ish seconds!!!...and off it goes.

Trouble is, it tops out at about 35 miles per hour (I saw 41 MPH once on a hard packed road that was slightly downhill!!!)...and it will do this at 1/3rd throttle or wide open...there doesn't seem to be any difference in engine output.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be the issue here?

I don't expect this thing to be any sort of a rocket, but one would think it should perform better than this...no?!!!?

Thanks in advance,

Shooster

clean the clutches, primary and secondary try again and go from there. you could also clean the carbs, check for green mung in float bowls.

Shooster

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I was thinking it might have something to do with clutching and/or carb adjustments. I don't think it's a jetting issue given the machine came from an area with a very similar elevation but I will check that out as well.

Any other ideas are welcome.

Shooster

Reaction score
Had the sled tuned up and totally gone over by a local shop...runs fantastic now. Issue was mainly carb adjustments...they also cleaned the clutch surfaces...night and day difference now.

Thanks for the feedback/assistance.

Top Bottom