1997 Indy 500 Voltage Regulator

ardypol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows if my '1997 Indy Trail RMK 500 fan' might have an external, replacable voltage regulator. I have a problem with it blowing headlight bulbs. I put a new one in and it doesn't waste time blowing the filament (5-10 seconds). I switch to highbeam and *poof*. That lasts about the same length of time as the low beam. The other thing that makes me think of a voltage issue is the hand warmers. The previous owner mentioned that the hand warmers work "really well." He said that it melted a pair of his gloves. I checked the voltage, at the headlight connector, and was getting about 10.5 volts. The bulbs should be rated at about 12-13V. Any suggestions???

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
there should be one at the pannel above the right foot well on the in side, its a small black piece with and aluminmounting plate, if its not there you dont have one or its not in the factorie location

ardypol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did see that. Have you heard of a situation such as this? I have blown three headlight bulbs now!

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
maybe theres a short, or the bulbs arnt the right kind, i had this problem on my 440 indy sport, it was the bulbs, get the big fat ones not the halogen ones , they work good in the older models

ardypol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will try those. That could be exactly the trouble. I used halogen ones. Thanks!

ardypol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Voltage Regulator was the trouble. Putting out 20+ volts. See you on the trails!

Top Bottom