1996 ZRT 600 triple clutch/belt

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought a 600 ZRT triple this summer, doing a few repairs to get ready for snow. Today put the new (proper) belt on it and see the track will not stop spinning at idle or low rpm,
if i hold the brake it wants to stall out the motor. Could there be something wrong with the clutch? Could the motor just be too far ahead on the motor mounts making the belt too tight??
Both clutches seem to move as the rpm go higher & higher, not much knowledge with clutches so any ideas would be welcomed.
Thanks
Hadster

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought a 600 ZRT triple this summer, doing a few repairs to get ready for snow. Today put the new (proper) belt on it and see the track will not stop spinning at idle or low rpm,
if i hold the brake it wants to stall out the motor. Could there be something wrong with the clutch? Could the motor just be too far ahead on the motor mounts making the belt too tight??
Both clutches seem to move as the rpm go higher & higher, not much knowledge with clutches so any ideas would be welcomed.
Thanks
Hadster
Belt deflection is too tight! Previous owner must have pulled some shims out of the secondary to make for a used belt, and when you put the new belt on, it's now too tight!

CatMan16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks
Hadster

I have a buddy at work that has a set of pipes that will work well on that sled if your interested. I have a roller secondary from a 99 powder special 700 if your secondary is worn out also.

Last edited:

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Belt deflection is too tight! Previous owner must have pulled some shims out of the secondary to make for a used belt, and when you put the new belt on, it's now too tight!
It did the same thing with the old belts that it came with, (they where the wrong size however).

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a buddy at work that has a set of pipes that will work well on that sled if your interested. I have a roller secondary from a 99 powder special 700 if your secondary is worn out also.
Don't think i what pipes, just want it working properly, then sell or trade it. Looking for a touring / trapping workhorse sled with reverse, just bought this one on a whime in the summer. Who knows however , might end up needing that secondary if mine has a problem. Thanks.

CatMan16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't think i what pipes, just want it working properly, then sell or trade it. Looking for a touring / trapping workhorse sled with reverse, just bought this one on a whime in the summer. Who knows however , might end up needing that secondary if mine has a problem. Thanks.
Ok one other thing you should check is if there is a torque stop bracket that has been added. It could be holding the clutch secondary and primary too far apart. Which would cause the belt to drag on the primary.

CatMan16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can you post a picture of the belt and secondary from the side to show high the belt is riding.?

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok one other thing you should check is if there is a torque stop bracket that has been added. It could be holding the clutch secondary and primary too far apart. Which would cause the belt to drag on the primary.
I hate to admit this, but i know $hit about these clutches etc. & that is all french to me. P.S. i got straight "F" in french.
But yes when i have time i could put some pics up, i should be able to figure that part out.
Thanks.

CatMan16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds good if you get really stumped you could haul it into Red Deer and I would have a look at it for you. Or you might find someone closer that can help you out.

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMG_1016.jpg IMG_1017.jpg IMG_1017.jpg
Here is a few pics CatMan , thank you so much for your time & ideas.

CatMan16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
View attachment 161583View attachment 161584View attachment 161584
Here is a few pics CatMan , thank you so much for your time & ideas.
Your belt is riding too high on the secondary clutch (driven clutch). Hold the brake on and take the bolt out that holds it on. It is a long bolt and it should have a 3 or 4 flat washers on it. Try not to drop them all in the belly pan. Changing the amount of those washers adjusts the width of the clutch shives adding washers will spread in open more. It looks like yours is adjusted to run a really worn belt. You want the belt sitting lower in that clutch after it shifts back to idle. May take a few times of have the bolt in and out before you get it right. If you can't get it down that way you may need to check the spring setting which would be more easily done if you take the secondary of the sled and put it on a work bench. Set it on a roll of duct tape or something similar with the 3 bolt cover facing up. The tape roll just helps to keep it from wobbling. Mark the position with a felt before taking it apart. Remove the the 3 nuts evenly while holding down pressure on the cover. The spring will be pushing against you until it lifts enough to decompress. With the nuts off you can remove the cover and check which hole the spring is in. It is adjustable to add or remove compression rate. The other thing that you might find is that some one added spring tension by twisting the cover and spring before lining up the bolt holes for assembling. Check the condition of the spring and helix while it is apart. Try bolting it back together with the least amount of spring compression. Then reinstall it and bolt it all back on. Put the belt back on and lift the track. Start it up with the track lifted and spin the track a few times and watch the clutches shift in and out. Idle it down and see if the belt has dropped. Should have no belt squeal at idle and shouldn't stall when you apply the brake. If you get that far you will need to test ride it to see how it shifts under load. If none of this helps I will sell you the roller secondary I have for $80 or for $100 I will bring it to Rocky and help you figure it out. Hope this helps

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm going to try those things you said to do tonite. If for some reason it still doesn't work right, could i come in this weekend sometime and buy your secondary (call or text my cell 403-845-0435), to let me know if you will be available this weekend or not. Thanks
Hadley

Top Bottom