1996 ultra 680 oil at base of cylinders

2004MXZ800

Reaction score
I just bought this ultra 680 for a good price. I had it idling for a bit warming it up and I drove it forward a bit and noticed a lot of black in the snow where the exhaust was. It has SLP triple pipes. Also I was looking near the exhaust head at the base of the cylinders it appears to be pretty oily there. What should I do? I am new to two strokes

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Allways will be lots of smoke when cold.

Probably needs a gasket between the block and the heads

2004MXZ800

Reaction score
That's what I kind of figured I guess the earlier models had that issue with the cylinder base gasket

2004MXZ800

Reaction score
Can I replace the base gaskets with the engine still in the sled or is it best to pull it? The repair manual only shows if it is pulled from the sled

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
If it has slp tripple pipes, there will be separate flanges on the cylinders. Its probably just leaking out the exhaust or at the flanges on the cylinders. When I ran ultra's back in the 90's, I saw oil all the time. Its just probably a matter of removing the pipes and re-sealing the connections between the pipes and header flanges as they will have a groove with a piston ring on there and they leaked. I used to wrap with high heat tape or use a silicone high temp sealant at the joints. Also on the header flanges on the block. oil at the exhaust on the snow is normal.... pipes on ultras also required a different set of nozzles and needles in the carbs that were included with the pipes to make them run a bit leaner on the bottom end and mid range and then bigger jets for the top end to run properly. made alot more power with the pipes (145ish) vs 105 hp stock.....

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
That's what I kind of figured I guess the earlier models had that issue with the cylinder base gasket

The issue with the base gaskets was the rmk high altitude models came with a thinner base gasket for high compression for high altitude use and would run too hot with pipes at sea level. The std models and sks models used a thicker gasket and would not blow as easily with pipes. Been there done all that........

2004MXZ800

Reaction score
Wow thank you I degreased my engine today and ran it a bit and it looks like it is coming from the pipes, I will seal that up and run it a little bit and see if that takes care of the issue what do you recommend to seal it up? Orange hi temp silicone?

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Wow thank you I degreased my engine today and ran it a bit and it looks like it is coming from the pipes, I will seal that up and run it a little bit and see if that takes care of the issue what do you recommend to seal it up? Orange hi temp silicone?

The highest temp rating you can get...... and you might want to check the gearing as they came geared way to high....mine used to blow belts every hill.....lol
Went to 19/39 gearing or something like that and it got better.

yellowstone in 1997....

553863_522515181092294_311161684_n.jpg

Last edited:

2004MXZ800

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, I have 1.25 lug but wouldn't mind going to 1.75 if one came up for the right price

2004MXZ800

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354131843.759390.jpg
This is what mine looks currently, skis are from a rev they are 7 " wide, and I just had the seat done

2004MXZ800

Reaction score
It is coming from the exhaust I just stuck paper towel under the joint and let the sled warm up for a bit and the paper towel turned black

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
It is coming from the exhaust I just stuck paper towel under the joint and let the sled warm up for a bit and the paper towel turned black

She looks good..... I had psi pipes on mine and you could hear that sled long before you saw the light coming across the field..... I changed them out to SLP with the three into one canister muffler and was alot quieter with good power. Used the stock exhaust down in yellowstone..... I remember doing the exhaust joints every month or so.....My friends all ran Polaris storms and this thing would keep right up.....

2004MXZ800

Reaction score
Thanks, I did the exhaust joints today ill run it tomorrow evening to see if there is any more leaks. Next task is to make sure it's jetted properly but I'm not sure if ill tackle that one myself I know a mechanic who will do it for me. I rerouted the lines to the bars today too so tomorrow I'm going to pick up a 6" riser for it

2004MXZ800

Reaction score
Pulled apart my carbs they are clean and don't have the slp jets and needles in them!!!!! I just emailed slp to see if they can give me some
Part numbers I could order to match up pretty close to what is needed

Top Bottom