1993 583 Summit won't start

JD Juelson

Reaction score
Probably my bad back, but I can't seem to pull this motor over hard enough to fire, or else it is flooding right away. Apparently no way to drain the crankcase. Got spark. No choke, just the primer which I think I am flooding it with. Thinking about adding an electric start, how hard is that? Thanks

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you looked at your plugs while you are trying to start it? Are they wet? How old is the fuel? Do you know for sure that the crank case is full or is that a guess?

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Slow down and think!!! Check you basics. Deep breath. Is there spark?
Is there gas? Then we can help you.............

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Probably my bad back, but I can't seem to pull this motor over hard enough to fire, or else it is flooding right away. Apparently no way to drain the crankcase. Got spark. No choke, just the primer which I think I am flooding it with. Thinking about adding an electric start, how hard is that? Thanks

Needles and seats in carbs likely or you are flooding with the primer. 2-3 pumps on the primer is all you need, should fire after that, then just use primer in single shots to keep it running until it idles on its own (give it a shot of primer as you hear it started to sputter). Usually after 2-3 more single shots it will stay running.

Don't bother adding electric start - its too hard.

Oh and just a note - you won't be able to order parts for a 1993 Summit 583 from Ski Doo - since they didn't come out with the Summit model (470 and 583 versions) until 1994. So you either have a 1994 Summit, or a different model of Ski Doo from 1993 (like a Formula). Hope that helps.

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check out this site, and compare the first 4 digits of your serial number to see what you have.

JD Juelson

Reaction score
Hokay. Plugs were wet. Yes, it's a guess that the crankcase was full (did tip the sled on it's side and gas poured out of the engine.) Have spark (first thing I checked) Fresh gas. A little Ronson lighter fluid got a pop. Replaced the key switch and ordered it as a '93 and the parts guy had no problem with that. Lots of "deep breaths, after tugging on the SOB a few times :eek:

-JD-

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your engine is that full of fuel you may want to shut off the fuel, pull the plugs, hold the throttle open and pull 10-15 times. Then put the plugs back in and pull a few more times with the throttle open to clean it out. Then turn the fuel back on prime and try again. Good luck, hope you get it going. When was the last time you had it running?

JD Juelson

Reaction score
Tried that. Some history. Born and raised on Kodiak Island, AK (AKA northernmost Hawaiian Island :d) Not much snow. Moved to Anchorage and started work as a surveyor in the bush. First time on a sled, at 26, dropped off in the bush with a Polaris colt (250) had to re-attach the skis and handle bars,(removed to fit into the plane) followed snowshoe tracks thru the woods. All my snowmachine time has been for work. Fella gave me an old 1977 Polaris 340SS, ran that one into the ground. Gettin too old to snowshoe out in the woods to cut firewood with a sled, so figured I would get a machine that could handle the hill country around my cabin in Anchor Point. Shopped around and found this Skidoo. It started first pull, so bought it and hauled it home. Couldn't get it to fire again! Stepson and cousin took it to cousins shop and they still couldn't get it to fire. After screwing around with it, found that the timing had "slipped"?? Got it fired up and brought it back. I just can't get it to fire. Probably take it to a real shop and have them fix it. Gonna try again first tho'! Thanks for all the advice!

-JD-

Top Bottom