174"/175" Plus/Minus

tailingspond

Reaction score
I am finally pulling the trigger on a long track sled and ordered a new RMK Pro 174" just wondering what a guy can expect that is different other than added floatation from the 155" I ride now.

We used to ride quite a bit around St.Albert but with the snow situation the last couple of years have found ourselves driving to Valemount more and more with several occasions where I felt I was under tracked due to snow depth.

Not into high marking or anything like that but do need to climb some hills to get to where we need to go and love the deep powder meadows and bowls.

I don't need any brand feedback as I own/have owned 4 Polaris and 2 Doos since 2013 with another Doo 850 163" also ordered for my son.

Sorry to disappoint anyone but they are all great machines and we have had no issues with any of them, I just prefer Polaris for handling.

Any positive feedback or advise would be appreciated.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode the 174 and the next size down track polaris and my 154 doo back to back. You could feel more traction of the 174 in the snow we where in that day. 174 then the doo and the 164 or what ever size it was. Handlebars felt goofy though

Reactions: TDR

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think rider weight factors in. Big guys will benefit more from the big track IMO.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was on a 174 3" Axys this past season, and I came off of a 155. OH MAN... I was nervous at first.. but after the first couple rides I was totally in awe. The agility factor is spot on. Because the Chassis is so balanced it feels like a 155. I noticed the biggest advantage in the trees. More flotation and traction meant I could go more places, easier.. and try more aggressive lines. My skill level and confidence went way up. There is NO WAY I could do half of what I accomplished on my 174 on a 155. More grace time, less stucks. People said.. oh but when it's stuck. Usually a ski pull is all I needed if I did need help.. otherwise I could get that 174 out pretty easy on my own. I could Roll him over no problem, and if you just pack away the snow from in front of the belly pan, and free the suction around the boards, my 174 would pop right out of the stuck. I made a video, and I'll see if it works. I'll be on a 174 again for 2018. I made this video because I had SOOOOOOOOooooo many people tell me what I needed, or didn't need for a sled. This happens to women quite often, I suppose men too. There are many myths regarding the 174/175" tracks. I wanted women to know that they can choose their ride.. whatever it is that they feel comfy with.. we don't have to ride 155's, which is what is most often suggested. I may have to monkey with this vid for a bit. There is a spelling mistake in there.. just warning you

Last edited:

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You'll notice a huge difference in the ability to be able to slow down and take time to make decisions compared to the 155 that you'd have to ride more aggressively.
Turning is a bit slower, but just have to adapt and get the sled over on it's side more to make the sharp turns.

Pray for snow in the fall. Sounds like next winter will be fun for you & your son!

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think rider weight factors in. Big guys will benefit more from the big track IMO.

I figured the opposite.. while it would help a larger framed man it helped me being on the lighter side.. I'm not a huge person, and for me it allowed me so much mobility, grace time and freedom as compared to my 155. If we were climbing a steep techy pull , even if I was bucked around, I could still keep my line, and improvise when things got hairy. laying it over is cake.. like the 155, but the cool thing is it holds that line, that sidehill so true. So many times I should have had my arse kicked .. but the track got me through... and better yet, made it look like I totally meant to do it..

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I figured the opposite.. while it would help a larger framed man it helped me being on the lighter side.. I'm not a huge person, and for me it allowed me so much mobility, grace time and freedom as compared to my 155. If we were climbing a steep techy pull , even if I was bucked around, I could still keep my line, and improvise when things got hairy. laying it over is cake.. like the 155, but the cool thing is it holds that line, that sidehill so true. So many times I should have had my arse kicked .. but the track got me through... and better yet, made it look like I totally meant to do it..
I was somewhat surprised not see more poo 174s on the hill. I do agree with adamg though somewhat that larger people who are not not that nimble do benefit from a 174. I am glad you enjoy yours Trish. I agree with you about the 174 able to hold its line better up a rough hill. I still would like to have both a 55 and 74 but a person cannot have everything lol if cash was not a issue id get a 63 as well all in different colors.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was somewhat surprised not see more poo 174s on the hill. I do agree with adamg though somewhat that larger people who are not not that nimble do benefit from a 174. I am glad you enjoy yours Trish. I agree with you about the 174 able to hold its line better up a rough hill. I still would like to have both a 55 and 74 but a person cannot have everything lol if cash was not a issue id get a 63 as well all in different colors.

That would be epic. The only time I noticed I fought Johnny Cash was if we were on a trail and it was icy.. and hard packed spring snow I fought him a bit. The 3 inch track likes fresh snow wayyyy more than hard packed for sure.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That would be epic. The only time I noticed I fought Johnny Cash was if we were on a trail and it was icy.. and hard packed spring snow I fought him a bit. The 3 inch track likes fresh snow wayyyy more than hard packed for sure.
was allen icy?

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was allen icy?

at about KM 4 going up it got slip slidey... coming down the ice and the moguls.. I just have to tap er cool and not go mach chicken on the trail when it's icy. It gets a bit Tokyo drift like. When we got up into the goods it was awesome!!! I love Marshall!
BCSF 3.jpg BCSF ride 2.jpg bcsf ride.jpg

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was on a 174 3" Axys this past season, and I came off of a 155. OH MAN... I was nervous at first.. but after the first couple rides I was totally in awe. The agility factor is spot on. Because the Chassis is so balanced it feels like a 155. I noticed the biggest advantage in the trees. More flotation and traction meant I could go more places, easier.. and try more aggressive lines. My skill level and confidence went way up. There is NO WAY I could do half of what I accomplished on my 174 on a 155. More grace time, less stucks. People said.. oh but when it's stuck. Usually a ski pull is all I needed if I did need help.. otherwise I could get that 174 out pretty easy on my own. I could Roll him over no problem, and if you just pack away the snow from in front of the belly pan, and free the suction around the boards, my 174 would pop right out of the stuck. I made a video, and I'll see if it works. I'll be on a 174 again for 2018. I made this video because I had SOOOOOOOOooooo many people tell me what I needed, or didn't need for a sled. This happens to women quite often, I suppose men too. There are many myths regarding the 174/175" tracks. I wanted women to know that they can choose their ride.. whatever it is that they feel comfy with.. we don't have to ride 155's, which is what is most often suggested. I may have to monkey with this vid for a bit. There is a spelling mistake in there.. just warning you
https://vimeo.com/212616064

My first reaction to your post is that you named your sled wrong - can't give a huge 12' long sled the name of a short guy. But then I looked it up on the INTERNET and turns out he was 6'1" - 6'2". Big dude for his day.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My first reaction to your post is that you named your sled wrong - can't give a huge 12' long sled the name of a short guy. But then I looked it up on the INTERNET and turns out he was 6'1" - 6'2". Big dude for his day.

I know right! I debated on his name for a long time.. and he kind of was the man in black before we wrapped Johnny. Like Johnny Cash, I went out and did my own thing this year even when some thought I was nuts. So many people told me I was crazy to get a 174, but I talked to Matt Entz before I decided. Matt said, "seriously Trish, it feels like a 155, but will give you an advantage".. I was still kind of on the fence. My husband wanted me to get the 174, so we could see, first hand how it felt. We were on a dietary cleanse, and i made him a Broccoli stir fry.. I said.. OK.. if you eat the entire plate.. I will snow check a 174.. and yup.. he did. I'm glad he did, not only for his sake.. but for mine. Best decision I've made for my sled life. I have a whole wide world opened up now.

uker7

Reaction score
I can contest to some of momma's experiences this year. It definitely makes it easier to bridge bomb holed lines. Comparing it to my 155, I was surprised that it wasn't really any harder to throw around and crack doughnuts. I will say it is pretty impressive what the 174 will chew through at low speeds. But what I noticed the most was the gained confidence, Momma was doing more downhill turns, steeper side hills and tighter lines compared to the previous years 155.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can contest to some of momma's experiences this year. It definitely makes it easier to bridge bomb holed lines. Comparing it to my 155, I was surprised that it wasn't really any harder to throw around and crack doughnuts. I will say it is pretty impressive what the 174 will chew through at low speeds. But what I noticed the most was the gained confidence, Momma was doing more downhill turns, steeper side hills and tighter lines compared to the previous years 155.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Scuba! I loved that your reaction wasn't ... wtf are you doing up there.. when I made a whoopsie and lost my line. . You were all.. WOO HOOO!!! look where you are!

tailingspond

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the feedback, much appreciated.
I had been weaning myself off dreaming of sledding and daydreaming about surf wakes but I can now confirm I have suffered a three week setback! Lol

Thanks again and thanks for the pics and videos.

Shaydyl

Reaction score
Taillngspond

Ive had the luxury of riding / owning all 3 Axys......I put 1200 miles on my 63 in vale and blue last season. I liked it so much I thought I'd try the 74 hoping it wasn't a straight ahead unit and its just as they said very manoeuvrable in any and all conditions. It does of course like the deep powder but handles the same as my 63 in most conditions.
On th floor in the shop the track on ground is about 4-6" longer and it is not noticeable once your in the snow........turning around in tight spots it has its drawbacks but all the LONG track sleds do. I've rode all the others 65 62 74 and they all don't turn very well in tight trail situations.
The biggest and best advantage is the ability to slow down and decide what your doing wherever you are......
Good luck and ride safe!!!!!!

Top Bottom