13 f150 fx4 tail gate

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My tail gate has a old men step with the handle, and it also has the backup camera.

Is there an easy way to disconnect the camera to remove the tail gate? I looked under the truck briefly today and think I felt a connector close to the spare...but I didnt have a flash light on me so I am not too sure if I traced the right loom or not

I want to take my tailgate off b/c I feel like my track will rip off the step, also I would think it would be 'safer' to place my ramp on the truck box itself instead of the tailgate

I would post this on fte but I figure there has to be a few guys on here running ford pickups with these types of tailgates
:smilieicon_ford:

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I take mine off periodically to put equipement in, the connection is between the spare and the hole out to the tail gate, if I remember correctly I cut the harness loose underneath pulled the connector out to the tail gate side while person held the right side of the tail gate away from truck fro clearance. My 14 came with a dummy plug to put onto female end of connector.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a dodge with the same type of setup and I know it is in the owners manual. Check there and there should be some pictures for reference I think.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
The plug is on the LH frame rail up under the box by the last box bolt. Or that's where it should be.
Those gates are fairly heavy. Also there a pain to put back on unless you have three people

Chrisp1

Reaction score
I had an 09 F150 and an 11 F-250 with the tail gate step, and never had an issue damaging the tailgate step, loading or unloading my sled. I now have a 13 F-150 without the tailgate step, and it seems the tailgate is showing more signs of wear, than the trucks with the step, ever did. Although I don't have any box liner in the new truck, it shows more I suppose.

Rjjtcross8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had one with the tailgate step and most all of the plastics broke for me. The center plastic that covers the step itself is over $300 from what I recall

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guarantee you will tear the plastic off if you spin the track at all. Been there, done that.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could also build a false floor to keep the sled up and room for the ramp under or even a sheet of plywood down. Would be easier then removing the tail gate each time

Oilboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yep as soon as you spin the track at all the step cap will break off broke 3 so far $190 from the stealer, my new truck doesnt have one for that reason

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its a pain to remove due to the plug for the camera and the weight with the step in it. I dont remove mine unless its absolutely needed.

Always keep your tailgate locked too. They do walk away on thier own!

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I unloaded the sled on monday i backed up to a bank and had the step down. It worked okay, but I had to pull the sled off by hand quite a ways before the track would grab.

I have a 5' or so chunk of conveyor belt with those chevron looking things in the back I think I will see if I can get that to sit in the box and extend to cover the tailgate and nail some 2x4s around the wheel wells so it doesnt kick out when I load/unload. Judging by how difficult it seems to take that tailgate on and off I think this will be easier

Top Bottom