09 D8 Rear suspension

DragonH

Reaction score
Has anyone made any modifications to their stock D8 rear suspension? ie. moving components to different mounting holes, etc. I've read a few posts about getting rid of the WE shocks but I just don't understand how changing the shocks can solve what appears to be a suspension geometry issue. when I lift up on the rear bumper to fully extend the suspension, the front of the track lifts up about 2 inches or so off the ground (is that the way it's supposed to be?). Please correct me if I'm wrong but that can't be helping the sag issue.

Smithys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2010 RMK 800 and the rear suspension sags more than I think it should. I talked to the dealer and they said I could change to a set of heavier springs. I might do this because I am a larger rider as well and heavier springs can only help.
Anyone have suggestions on changing to heavier springs? Will it help the rear suspension sag issues on these sleds?

steve250f

Reaction score
I have a 09 assult Iwent with the347lbs springs withthe47 degree short side huge differance no more sag can in soft setting an Iweight 230

Cumminsnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I installed the same springs and it is a big difference I'm 250lbs with out gear and I keep it on the softest setting and it hardly ever bottoms out! the one thing I did notice is that it doesn't handle quite as well in the powder but I should be able to adjust the limiter straps on the front a bit. Mine is a 09 Rmk so it has different shocks.

DragonH

Reaction score
Just an update guys, I e-mailed Curt at fastrax motorsports (read on snowest he was very knowledgable with the IQ suspension). His recommendation was to swap out the stock torsion springs for the 0.375/47deg (i'm about 240# all geared up) as well as move the lower mount for the rear scissor arm back 5/8". I did this yesterday and definitely no more sag, just need to wait for some snow to see how it handles.

Smithys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just an update guys, I e-mailed Curt at fastrax motorsports (read on snowest he was very knowledgable with the IQ suspension). His recommendation was to swap out the stock torsion springs for the 0.375/47deg (i'm about 240# all geared up) as well as move the lower mount for the rear scissor arm back 5/8". I did this yesterday and definitely no more sag, just need to wait for some snow to see how it handles.

Did you have to drill any new holes to move the rear scissor arm back the 5/8"?
Would I be able to stop by your house in Airdrie and take a look as well? I live in Airdrie as well.

DragonH

Reaction score
Yes, I had to drill a new hole in each rail (3/8" diameter), 5/8" back from the original. very easy to do. took me about an hour by myself to change springs, do the scissor arm relocate, and adjust the limiter strap. I don't have my sled in my garage to show you but if you don't like it, you can always switch back to the original holes (more holes means weight savings, right?)

Jenkie

Reaction score
Definately swap out for the larger springs - I also added Exit Shocks from Zbros - The ride and spring back is incredible - No sag at all. Remember if you order from Zbros - take your weight and add 40lbs to make up all your gear as well as gascan, tunnel bag etc. Zbros will set the shocks up for this weight. It will be perfect.

Fishnuts

Reaction score
I have actually welded a bracket on the rear scissor and built a simple new rear torque arm with some ready rod and rod ends so that I could install coil over or air shocks in the rear suspension of my 09 dragon. Worked good, no more static sag and super adjustable to set up stand over sag. I set mine at 25%. Plus got to remove those heavy torsion springs. The new bracket changed the geometry of the rear slightly but not enough that I have noticed a big difference, works good!

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have actually welded a bracket on the rear scissor and built a simple new rear torque arm with some ready rod and rod ends so that I could install coil over or air shocks in the rear suspension of my 09 dragon. Worked good, no more static sag and super adjustable to set up stand over sag. I set mine at 25%. Plus got to remove those heavy torsion springs. The new bracket changed the geometry of the rear slightly but not enough that I have noticed a big difference, works good!

Pictures please.

trugritcoyote

Reaction score
Last year my rear shocks were bagged out so I bought a rear skid and track out of a 2012 pro, bolts right into my 08 dragon tunnel, the only thing different is the bolt diameter in the shafts of the skid, sag is way better with the pro shocks and rear skid, cost me 400 bucks total in the end

Fishnuts

Reaction score
Thats awesome! That was my original plan but failed to locate a complete skid. The bracket I made changed the angles a bit but I just put a heavier spring on the shock I got and it rides great!

Top Bottom