08 Summit X Thumb Warmer Always On

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Recently I have noticed that my thumb warmer on my 2008 Summit X 154 is constantly on, regardless of the setting shown in the display. When I change the settings, the display corresponds, but if I turn it all the way off, I still get constant heat on the throttle. Has anybody got any ideas? P.S. Handwarmers work properly.

Last edited:

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Have you tried cutting the wire?? That will shut them off...:)

Yes, I am kidding...I dont have an answer for you, but obviously you have an issue with the switch. Might be as simple as water in the switch shorting the contacts, but mine is differnt, just 2 positions, hi/lo/off, I dont know how the 'x' one works

I know this was of zero value to you, but I got nothin, sorry!

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At least you responded... the way the X works is you keep pressing on either the left or right side of the switch, and it adds or subtracts a bar (total of 9) on the display, and bounces back to the neutral position. The hand warmers sometimes need to be on 8 or 9 due to the aluminum handlebars, but the thumb warmer never sees more than 2 (I can't imagine using it at any higher settings, it would melt the throttle lever I'm sure...). When I set the thumb warmer to Zero on the display, it feels like it is still on bar 1. If it was shorting somewhere, I would guess that it wouldn't work at all, but it is the opposite. Anybody else have any ideas?

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
When I was younger I used to install stereos, and I have a small voltage tester that will test 1-24 volts. If you had something like this you could at least verify that the current to the warmer is on or off, otherwise somewhere in the switch. From what you are describing, your switch would be like a dimmer switch, but isnt breaking the curent when off. Do you have a mulit-meter?

sledn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At least you responded... the way the X works is you keep pressing on either the left or right side of the switch, and it adds or subtracts a bar (total of 9) on the display, and bounces back to the neutral position. The hand warmers sometimes need to be on 8 or 9 due to the aluminum handlebars, but the thumb warmer never sees more than 2 (I can't imagine using it at any higher settings, it would melt the throttle lever I'm sure...). When I set the thumb warmer to Zero on the display, it feels like it is still on bar 1. If it was shorting somewhere, I would guess that it wouldn't work at all, but it is the opposite. Anybody else have any ideas?

I added a resistor to my 08 XP so that the thumb warmer was not just off or too hot.Now it is usable from 1-9 settings.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if it still goes on high and low but just won't shut off then it's most likely the switch. you can take the back of it off and see if there is any corrosion/water inside. (only a couple of screws.) switch is about $165 ish

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I notice on my '09 that during a ride the thumb warmer is getting hot and I haven't touched the setting during the entire ride. When I hit the thumb setting its showing on the display at the lowest setting yet still hotter than it would be at that setting. Its never been so hot that its a concern so I live with it.

I never notice the hand warmers coming on so its a problem maybe isolated to the thumb warmer only. Might be an issue that a re-flash of the programing may fix but nothing that anyone else I know has had a problem with.

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I added a resistor to my 08 XP so that the thumb warmer was not just off or too hot.Now it is usable from 1-9 settings.

Where did you throw the resistor? What size of resistor did you use?

Thanks in advance.

sledn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't remember the resistor size,but it was the from the standard kimpex thumb warmer kit(ctc).I tyrapped it inside the XP risor so that the heat will be safe.just wired it inline with either wire going to the thumb warmer.Works like it is supposed to now.

Top Bottom