08 800R with just over 4000km - Time for a rebuild?

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the crank was redone, that IS the bottom end. Just do a compression test and measure your crank runout. Should tell you everything you need to know. With that mileage I would suspect that everything is ok. You could always get it checked for peace of mind.

Or you should be able to get a little more for it if you still decide to sell it.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you do the work your self probably around $500. Do your self a favour and buy dual ring pistons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
300 bucks for an MCB kit with all the gaskets and everything you need. Used a couple sets of these and have had great luck. Pretty easy job. Im no master mechanic and Ive done quite a few of them.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The crank may have been done but the jugs would still have some wear. Slight rocking of the piston back and forth may show some wear.

The motor can stay in to do the top end. A pain but two sets of hands to drop the mono block back on helps. The MCB pistons are decent. They went into my 09 however long ago it was. Pulled them this past winter and there were more wear. The newer pistons and extra compression can even lead to more force on the crank. An engine guy says so. :what:

If in doubt I would just shortblock the entire thing. It's cheaper than a heli ride and a lost weekend, or worse a season if it goes down. I looked into putting a trued crank in mine, by the time I tear it down, replace the crank, have the cylinder honed, New pistons and gaskets I might have well just replaced it all. For piece of mind, even though a mechanical failure can happen anytime, it is worth it to me.

sent from a top secret location

Top Bottom