07 Crossfire 6

schickdecision

Reaction score
I just bought my wife a non-current new 07 crossfire 6. Is there anything I should know about this sled before I send her out on the trails?

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd PM ZRrr on this. He is very knowlegeable on the Crossfires.

As far as I know, there is a clip on the servo motor pulley that can fray the valve cables overtime causing them to break. I've seen it on the '07 XFire 1000's. Free replacement from Cat on those. There are a few other items, no biggies, but things that need to be addressed, just can't seem to remember right now. I ride with about 5 or 6 Xfires, all '07's.

RevBlk

Reaction score
I have the same sled. Dial down the oil cable as they are way too rich from the factory. Change plugs after her first tank. Then every 400 kms change them in the shop. They are rude to change trail side. Your wife is probably small enough for the rear suspension as is. If she is bottoming it out change the front spring to a Sno Pro one. (unless it is already a SnoPro sled). The skis are darty at top end but are okay up to about 120 kph. I've heard but have never seen that some guys banana'd the tunnels. Probably just internet hype. No issues with mine & I weigh 220 plus gear. I'm not exactly gentle with it but no 15' snow flap landings for me thanks. If you need the piece of mind, you can get reinforcement plates from Cat, or Kore was making them. Track is adequate unless you are really into the steep & deep. I service my DD twice a year. It has lasted so far & I got it for Xmas 06. Nice wife eh? Even at -40 mine starts by third pull. IMO best hybrid sled around. Might be a little biased. I love Cats. This one is head & shoulders better than my ZR580 & I loved that one. Just my .02.
Rev

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Off the top of my head....

Yes, they all came very rich from the factory. Watch your oil to fuel consumption. Likely need to turn down the oil pump. Relatively easy to do. Some sleds were worse than others, but all seemed to be bad to some degree.

Clutching is not bad, however there are a couple little things that can be done to make it better. Since it's your wifes sled you may not be interested in changing clutching. If you are, PM me for details.

If your running the factory installed Ripsaw track. Get rid of it. Living in Ft. Mac I doubt your on trail much. Ripsaw is good for hard packed trails, not so good for off trail. I would also suggest a minimum 1.5" paddle height.

RevBlk is correct about the front skid spring. If your wife is bottoming the front skid shock, then change the spring to the Sno Pro spring. Good improvement. Other than that the suspension is pretty good. I prefer the standard setup over the Sno Pro suspension. More forgiving and better weight transfer. Which reminds me...I do not like coupler blocks. Tunnel bending is a bit of internet hype. Just make sure your wife isn't doing any real hard tail landings.

Be sure to change the diamond drive oil soon after the break-in miles. Fresh oil is the diamond drives best friend!

Get the knee pads from Cat and install them on the sled. Your knees will thank you!

Nothing else comes to mind right now. It's a great all around, fun sled and I think your wife will be real comfortable on it.

Oh yeah.....GET RID OF THE STOCK SPLIT DUAL RUNNER CARBIDES!!! They are junk and the main cause of poor steering/darting. Get yourself a good pair of runners. Maybe even a set of Studboy Shaper Bars. Doubel check ski alignment and adjust suspension to control steering effort/darting.

Large mouth air intake if you have money laying around.

Have fun!

Top Bottom