07.5 GM cracking box rails

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any problems with their chevy/gm cracking like this. Right across the spot welds where the rail ties into the end piece. Does anyone else get sick of everything being built so chitty these days...this truck has had a pretty easy life mostly town and highway miles...148k km never been in the ditch or accident. Anyway wondering if it was a big job to fix...i.e. remove box or can body shop weld tack that back in place on the truck?

Attachments

• IMG_2188.jpg
    IMG_2188.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_2189.jpg
    IMG_2189.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 251

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Having a hard time figuring out the way the pictures are as they are so close,.. but it either looks like a piss poor line-x job or the clear paint protector that was painted over by the line-x is coming off.

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya those pics aren't so great. I wish it were the clear coat but that crack is the sheet metal cracked clean through on the drivers side (bottom pic) and half way on the passenger side (top pic) from the box side rail...The top of the box rail bends over at the front corner and is spot welded to the pieces under it. The top corner of the box is floppy now so will need to get it fixed before the box falls completely apart. If you have a chev just look behind your cab at the front of the box and you will see the spot welds on the sheet metal. The cracks are across the top of the spot welds. Pretty impressive quality for a $70k pick up. Lots of little chit like that with this vehicle...maybe it's a lemon but pretty sure i won't buy another GM. Like the engine/tranny but everything else is pretty junky.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya those pics aren't so great. I wish it were the clear coat but that crack is the sheet metal cracked clean through on the drivers side (bottom pic) and half way on the passenger side (top pic) from the box side rail...The top of the box rail bends over at the front corner and is spot welded to the pieces under it. The top corner of the box is floppy now so will need to get it fixed before the box falls completely apart. If you have a chev just look behind your cab at the front of the box and you will see the spot welds on the sheet metal. The cracks are across the top of the spot welds. Pretty impressive quality for a $70k pick up. Lots of little chit like that with this vehicle...maybe it's a lemon but pretty sure i won't buy another GM. Like the engine/tranny but everything else is pretty junky.
That sucks, but sadly none of the others are any better.

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No a pull trailer (26' about 7000ish lbs). I put a deck in it too but it sits well off the rails. It uses turnbuckles attached to the box anchors though. I only hand tighten them though and usually just highway driving as our staging areas are pretty much off the highway.

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmm thanks for raising this issue, maybe I'll bolt my deck into my 2009 instead of using the turnbuckles... I took a pic to of mine to clarify where this is; doesn't look too tough to access and tack it back together for a quick fix without removing the box.

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 157

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
If you notice the lip inside the wheel wells are probbaly doing the same. Where ever sheet metal is folded over each other and tack welded it leaves and airspace where salt and chit goes down into and though you cannot see it rust starts and starts to push them apart from each other

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Probably from the deck,,the trucks are so weak,,,If the turnbuckles are to tight it will pull the box sides in.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Here is a pic of a gm with the side off. No strength to these new trucks..

That little plate below the front stake pocket,,is the brace for the in box tie down,,,weak as hell,,,Would never trust them,,4 spot welds hold the brace to the box..

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1333417540.275723.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1333417540.275723.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

green-horn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Boy am I glad they are sooo cheap:rolleyes: We can all go out and buy new every 3 years. Is it any wonder why there are so many imports.

Top Bottom