05 wont reverse

Ryan 900

Reaction score
Hey, My rmk wont shift into reverse at idle, it stalls. I can sometimes feather the throttle just right to get the shift, but never will it shift into fwd without stalling. Last year I put a dyna port pipe on, It hasn't idled quite right since, but I am not convinced that this is the issue. any help?

Danbot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stalling when switching to or from reverse is very typical of a TPS that is out.
There is help on Snowest if you search for "how to build your own TPS tester"
The tester can be bought from polaris but it's super easy to build if you can solder, and use a multimeter.

DiamondDave

Reaction score
I am finding the TPS harness (connector) has a wire that is breaking causing these problems along with the TPS failing.

Ryan 900

Reaction score
I am not convinced that is the problem, but i don't have an answer, how much you want for it?

max900

Reaction score
Hey, My rmk wont shift into reverse at idle, it stalls. I can sometimes feather the throttle just right to get the shift, but never will it shift into fwd without stalling. Last year I put a dyna port pipe on, It hasn't idled quite right since, but I am not convinced that this is the issue. any help?

check your belt it may need to set your back lash it my be to tight hope you get it fixed

Big Bill

Reaction score
Stalling when switching to or from reverse is very typical of a TPS that is out.
There is help on Snowest if you search for "how to build your own TPS tester"
The tester can be bought from polaris but it's super easy to build if you can solder, and use a multimeter.

Hey Danbot,
Have an 05 fusion, wont reverse, but low comp 1 cyl. Popped head off to look and have a small nitch burnt in top of 1 piston. Rings seen to be sticky. Cyl looks ok. Other cyl has very lite scratching but 125 comp.
Question 1 is, can I hone out the scratch and replace rings? Reuse old rings?
Will put new piston & rings in bad cyl. How much can you hone these cyls.
Never done 1 of the crome 1s. No flaking in cyls. About 3000 miles.
Question 2, The tps unit, don't see it listed under electrical parts. where is it & how could I test it?
Thanks
Big Bill

Danbot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Danbot,
Have an 05 fusion, wont reverse, but low comp 1 cyl. Popped head off to look and have a small nitch burnt in top of 1 piston. Rings seen to be sticky. Cyl looks ok. Other cyl has very lite scratching but 125 comp.
Question 1 is, can I hone out the scratch and replace rings? Reuse old rings?
Will put new piston & rings in bad cyl. How much can you hone these cyls.
Never done 1 of the crome 1s. No flaking in cyls. About 3000 miles.
Question 2, The tps unit, don't see it listed under electrical parts. where is it & how could I test it?
Thanks
Big Bill

1- Generally speaking, if you can feel the scratches or flaws in a cylinder with your fingernail... it is typically too much to hone. With plated cylinders honing is only used to re-establish cross-hatch. Post some pics of the piston and cyl and we can give you some opinions.

2- The TPS (throttle position sensor) is located on the mag side of the throttle body unit... You will find a 3 wire connector plugged into it.
Polaris makes a testing / setting tool you can purchase, but most of us who run the 900 have built our own. There is also lots of issues with corrosion on the connector pins, as well as cases where the wires near the TPS connector have internal damage that can be difficult to trace. Polaris sells a replacement TPS pigtail that can be soldered into the harness. Problems with the TPS are usually poor connection or internally damaged or corroded wires near the TPS connector, as well as improperly setting of the TPS.

• Love
Reactions: ice

Big Bill

Reaction score
1- Generally speaking, if you can feel the scratches or flaws in a cylinder with your fingernail... it is typically too much to hone. With plated cylinders honing is only used to re-establish cross-hatch. Post some pics of the piston and cyl and we can give you some opinions.

2- The TPS (throttle position sensor) is located on the mag side of the throttle body unit... You will find a 3 wire connector plugged into it.
Polaris makes a testing / setting tool you can purchase, but most of us who run the 900 have built our own. There is also lots of issues with corrosion on the connector pins, as well as cases where the wires near the TPS connector have internal damage that can be difficult to trace. Polaris sells a replacement TPS pigtail that can be soldered into the harness. Problems with the TPS are usually poor connection or internally damaged or corroded wires near the TPS connector, as well as improperly setting of the TPS.

Didnt want to put alot of $ into it.
Cyl with scratches has good comp. Do I leave it alone? put on new rings anyway? Pic's didnt come out. Sorry. I can feel them but there way low in cyl and dont seem to be afecting comp. Is it ok to do just 1 piston?
Thanks

Danbot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cyl with scratches has good comp. Do I leave it alone? put on new rings anyway? Pic's didnt come out. Sorry. I can feel them but there way low in cyl and dont seem to be afecting comp. Is it ok to do just 1 piston?
Thanks
I would say no, don't change just one piston, but that's only my opinion... and there are a million different opinions out there.
If you are not sure about the cyl's condition, I recommend having someone inspect them and give you a professional judgment. There's only so much we can do to diagnose this over the internet, especially without pics.
Sorry, but I am not a fan of fixing things the cheap way.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks

i just did the wifes 03 800. costed about 600 bucks for honing and new genuine poo parts. pistons, pins , and pin bearings etc, you can do it on the cheap.but my theory is if you cant afford to fix it right now,and do it once and forget about it, how can you afford to fix it again later.
plus think of your down time not riding when your fixin it again. jmo.

600 bucks isn't alot of money when it comes to sledding. i am sure thats less than some guys spend at the bar on a weekend of ridin.

Big Bill

Reaction score
i just did the wifes 03 800. costed about 600 bucks for honing and new genuine poo parts. pistons, pins , and pin bearings etc, you can do it on the cheap.but my theory is if you cant afford to fix it right now,and do it once and forget about it, how can you afford to fix it again later.
plus think of your down time not riding when your fixin it again. jmo.

600 bucks isn't alot of money when it comes to sledding. i am sure thats less than some guys spend at the bar on a weekend of ridin.

Thanks! Great advise!
If it was my sled it would be done right. Will be showing the owner your post!

Big Bill

Reaction score
I would say no, don't change just one piston, but that's only my opinion... and there are a million different opinions out there.
If you are not sure about the cyl's condition, I recommend having someone inspect them and give you a professional judgment. There's only so much we can do to diagnose this over the internet, especially without pics.
Sorry, but I am not a fan of fixing things the cheap way.

Thanks Dan, Good advise. Will be showing the owner your post!
Sometimes they just need a 2nd opinion.

Top Bottom