04 RMK 6oo Overheating

Wally in Calgary

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was out at Cataract today and everything was fine until I started climbing up the trails. At lower speeds it overheats and blows it out the overflow. All the hoses seem hot and the running boards too so I'm sure it's circulating OK. Does anyone have any ideas about this?? I was thinking maybe head gasket or water pump. TIA.

bdietz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey
Im the guy who gave you the coolant
maybe your head gasket is leaking putting pressure int the cooling system
or maybe the cylinder gasket
or any other gasket that will allow crank case pressure to get into the cooling system
that will cause heating as well as push the coolant out of the resevoir
I had that happen on an old 340 liquifire deere

I wont be sledding for a while my motor is toast
pulled the top off and the whole right side is beet to crap looks like the bearings failed on the wrist pin and destroyed the piston and cylinder and rod
not a good sight
it fell out of the muffler in 100 pieces and the top half of the piston is wedged into the cylinder

not a good day

Wally in Calgary

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey
Im the guy who gave you the coolant
maybe your head gasket is leaking putting pressure int the cooling system
or maybe the cylinder gasket
or any other gasket that will allow crank case pressure to get into the cooling system
that will cause heating as well as push the coolant out of the resevoir
I had that happen on an old 340 liquifire deere

I wont be sledding for a while my motor is toast
pulled the top off and the whole right side is beet to crap looks like the bearings failed on the wrist pin and destroyed the piston and cylinder and rod
not a good sight
it fell out of the muffler in 100 pieces and the top half of the piston is wedged into the cylinder

not a good day
Thanks again for the coolant. Down the road was just fine but as soon as we started climbing up the trail it started blowing. I remembered an old minivan that I had would do the same thing and it was a head gasket. Too bad about your motor but maybe you could find something used around here. Check out a few of the used links that are posted here or just post for one. Thanks again and I hope you have some luck finding a motor.

bdietz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks
Ill fix yours if you fix mine haha
ride for a day and fix all week
some things never change
is there any good reliable sleds out there

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
could have possibly been running in to little of snow, which means the track wouldn't be able to kick up enough snow to cool off the exchangers, making it overheat. definately cause it was happening at lower speeds.

Wally in Calgary

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
could have possibly been running in to little of snow, which means the track wouldn't be able to kick up enough snow to cool off the exchangers, making it overheat. definately cause it was happening at lower speeds.
There was plenty snow. When I got off the machine I sank down at least a foot. When my speed was up and plenty of air going through it was just fine if I kept it under 60 mph. 40-50 mph was just perfect to keep it cool on the flats.

dberrong

Reaction score
my sportsman 600 overheats due to mud clogging the back of the radiator. I wash it out after I ride, but I can't get to the back of the raditor without dismantling the front end. Anybody got any suggestions on how th remedy this?

Top Bottom