03 rmk

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just a couple questions about the wifes rmk.
what is the difference between hers and all the ones i see for sale. hers has all red trim, i.e gas rack , hood vents etc. all the ones i see for sale are all black. was this a option, or special model of some kind?
also how dependable are these machines? it has 3000km on it and a few little goodies but nothing major by the looks of it.
only reason we got it was price was fair and it has good power, reverse and a long paddle track so she won't get stuck:rolleyes:. everything she requested in a sled.

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They had numerous colour schemes. My Sled was Red + Yellow, but I pretty much have all the yellow eliminated. Perhaps her sled is a snowcheck model? Perhaps the preveous owner switched the colour scheme to solid red as have many others. They came in Red+Yellow / Black+Red / Blue+Yellow. Great sled, if she is rounding the 3000 miles I would check the runout on the crank or even just replace the bearings on the crank as they are probibly getting close to being pooched. You want to change these before they take out the rest of the engine. Cheap fix if you change the bearings before they go. HIGHLY RECOMENDED.

larry.mahoney

Reaction score
I've got a 03 800 rmk with 3k mi. Can you provide more details on the crank? Whats the run out, which bearing to change and any other advice? Any warning IE vibration, noise, power loss or does it just blow? I'd like to ride it another 500 mi or till the end of the season before tear down!
Thanks

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got a 03 800 rmk with 3k mi. Can you provide more details on the crank? Whats the run out, which bearing to change and any other advice? Any warning IE vibration, noise, power loss or does it just blow? I'd like to ride it another 500 mi or till the end of the season before tear down!
Thanks

to check your crank run out you need to measure your pto end of the crank as it is being turned around. A common problem with the 800's because of the massive torque they produce thru the entire power band. That and poor cases. Because of the torque, and weak cases, the pto end bearing would end up "egg shaping" the case where the bearing is held, causing catastrophic crank failure at the pto,bearing, or the pin on the pto side cylinder

The fix for this is to line bore the cases, and have them machined for a wider faced bearing, on pto,and mag, weld the crank pins, and touch up the galleries for more efficient oiling.

The most trusted name in the polaris 800/900 crank fix game....is Indy Dan, Dan Turen, who runs Indy Specialties in Welch Minn. You can find him on e-bay, under Indy Specialties.

THE BEST BOTTOM END IN THE BUISNESS, WITH A ROCK SOLID WARRANTY, AND YOU COULD NOT ASK FOR A BETTER PERSON TO DEAL WITH.

Well worth the extra couple bucks, for the piece of mind provided

Top Bottom