02 Oil Pump Setting

LBZX

Reaction score
Can someone with an 02 zx check out their oil pump setting?

The manual states that the cable free play should be 28 mm. I have an aftermarket throttle/oil cable with an extension and I can only get 24mm max freeplay. This setting is long way off from using the mark on the oil pump arm.

(Note: the Doo procedure for setting oil pumps for 01's is different than the 02's.).

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy at work has a ZX and just put a new cable in his machine. I'll go see if he has any Idea about what he did.

LBZX

Reaction score
Apparently, I need to change my username.

Still looking for legitimate responses...

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, I talked to him a while ago and he used to run his pump arm so the little notch was lined up with the "tick" on the pump bracket. He measured the "free play" on the cable housing and it was only about 19mm. I think he's going to slowly increase in this winter while we monitor his sled for apparent richness (smoke).

I'll try to remember what happens the first week of December. :cool: although he is giving serious thought to selling it and buying my 550f summit instead.

mrsummit700

Reaction score
Sounds good Ill check my free play when I install the new oil pump cable.

So, I talked to him a while ago and he used to run his pump arm so the little notch was lined up with the "tick" on the pump bracket. He measured the "free play" on the cable housing and it was only about 19mm. I think he's going to slowly increase in this winter while we monitor his sled for apparent richness (smoke).

I'll try to remember what happens the first week of December. :cool: although he is giving serious thought to selling it and buying my 550f summit instead.

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll try to remember what happens the first week of December. :cool: although he is giving serious thought to selling it and buying my 550f summit instead.[/QUOTE]

Lol 550f I think he needs your 800 lol I think he would buy it you just need to push alittle more.

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You just want the 550f for yourself. Too bad, it's gone to a better home.

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
na i am looking into a 78 JD 440 liquifire that will smoke that pants off that 550 any day...

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey LBZX, Day 1 and the smoking is significantly reduced. His plugs are brown but seemed to still use more oil than neccessarry. I think he's going to leave it as it's running well. A little extra oil insurance is not a big deal.

SledLift, I sure hope your 880BB is gone in trade for that liquifire. I wont tell the other guy that it runs like poop.

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Day 2 My buddy reduced his oil a little more and seized his motor on the trail in. Not sure oil was the problem.

Caution. We have no idea if it is related to oil, yet.

Top Bottom