800 etec spark plugs

rotormech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how often do the etec guys change your plugs,also do you even carry spares, and ive heard when you do put plugs in they have to be put in tightend at a certain spot to work right?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
That's something I'm going to have to learn also this year. The process is called indexing and the gap in the plug has to be at a certain spot.

It will be interesting to read the responses.

rotormech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
indexing thats the word i was looking for,i havent looked close yet but there must be a mark on the plug and the head.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
indexing is a old myth.... mayby not for a etec as it is a "sensitive" engine.

the theory is to align the spark plug so that the open side of the gap is facing the exhaust port. Combustion and flame front will then push out of the exhaust port

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You might consider it a myth, but evenrude e-tec motors required indexing the plug due to the direct injection system used (same system in the e-tec sled motor) the open side must be aligned with the fuel injector.

apparently the etec indexed plugs were guaranteed for 3 years? Or so I thought last year.

I know they were $21-22 from Ski-doo per plug.

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You might consider it a myth, but evenrude e-tec motors required indexing the plug due to the direct injection system used (same system in the e-tec sled motor) the open side must be aligned with the fuel injector.

apparently the etec indexed plugs were guaranteed for 3 years? Or so I thought last year.

I know they were $21-22 from Ski-doo per plug.

You did get warranty though, right?

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was a claim I remember from last year for the plugs. Regardless, its cheap insurance every year to replace plugs.

Indexing is not a big deal. You have basically a 180 degree window to have the open end facing the injector.

Its very possible that the engine management system in the e-tec could pick up a bad ignition cycle from an inproperly installed/indexed plug.

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is not actually done by us the installer it is a design feature from the sparkplug manufacturer unless your installing extra washers or removing them to increase or decrease the useable thread count that enters the cylinder head. therefore the plug will usually be in the 180 degree position that is required for better burn.... but yes mor washers will put it into optimal position.. no argument there

sscamaro_skwark

Reaction score
Most should be ok, but it is best to double check & ensure the proper positioning, I don't know the full reason for it with direct injection, but I assume it has to do with the piston/head design to provide the best flame travel & igniting properties (I am not even sure if they use a small bowl/dish or a piston deflector on these ones, sorry I forget the proper terminology right now but there are 2 basic DI designs). Automotive racers have been indexing plugs for years with shims to improve the flame travel for more power, a % or two doesn't sound like much but try one % on 1000+hp vehicles, it all adds up, & when you have to win to get paid you pay attention to detail.

SummitCrazy

Reaction score
If correct plugs are used and torqued to spec the indexing is automatic. If you want the first pull start and optimum fuel mileage this is important because of the position of the plug in the combustion chamber and its relation to the overhead injectors. Indexing plugs on an etec is standard procedure, not a suggestion. The etec uses very little fuel at idle, the equivalent of a 300cc engine at idle so it is important.

sscamaro_skwark

Reaction score
at idle it is called a stratified fuel charge, while off idle it goes to a homogenous fuel charge, hence the very specific piston shape, & fuel timimg is VERY important due to this to get the proper mixture (they have early & late injection, late is for idle & is very contained so it uses less fuel, just like a much smaller cylinder, hence the specific piston shape & injector location)

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 2500+ km's on my E-tec and it is getting pistons before plugs?? Anyway I do carry a set but never have used them. Sled started first pull after summer storage. This tells me the plugs can't be that bad. I guess I should put the new ones in after the break in. I got a nice little plug holder that fits nicely with velcro to the airbox, hanging above the clutch side. I can't send pics as it is in the shop for the recall. And the dealer said if I bought plugs from them (BRP) the are guaranteed to index properly at the proper torque. (Sounds a little fishy)

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 2500+ km's on my E-tec and it is getting pistons before plugs?? Anyway I do carry a set but never have used them. Sled started first pull after summer storage. This tells me the plugs can't be that bad. I guess I should put the new ones in after the break in. I got a nice little plug holder that fits nicely with velcro to the airbox, hanging above the clutch side. I can't send pics as it is in the shop for the recall. And the dealer said if I bought plugs from them (BRP) the are guaranteed to index properly at the proper torque. (Sounds a little fishy)

I'm sure if BRP can engineer innovations like electronic reverse, rotary valve induction and etec technology for snowmobile engines they can make a plug index properly. Just sayin.....

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm sure if BRP can engineer innovations like electronic reverse, rotary valve induction and etec technology for snowmobile engines they can make a plug index properly. Just sayin.....

not arguing your point but it was implied to me that only plugs sold through the dealer are going to index and the exact same plug through other sources may not? Could be true but I question everything,

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The recommended torque does not index your plugs do it the old fashion way, they are warrentied for 3yrs, and you should not have to replace them yet. The reason for the indexing and the tolerance is 90 deg inline with the injector is to insure the 1st pull start, nothing more, if the indexing is off than the sled may have to be pulled more than once to start it.
I have replaced mine last year chasing a hesitation problem, the plugs almost looked brand new, dont bother doing this, if you dont have to. The mag side is a real pain and you need different tools to change it. the normal tool that comes with the tool kit will not do it.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya they are on a 45 degree angle and a real PITA.

did you ever figure out your hesitation? id like to try your sled compared to our 2011 see whats up.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not arguing your point but it was implied to me that only plugs sold through the dealer are going to index and the exact same plug through other sources may not? Could be true but I question everything,

Just drink the Kool-aid Chris. Lol.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya they are on a 45 degree angle and a real PITA. did you ever figure out your hesitation? id like to try your sled compared to our 2011 see whats up.
As of right now, no I have not. I'm going to try some different setups to load the engine more, I've been hearing something about "rate of rpm increase" that causes this hesitation.

deep blue

Reaction score
I got 4800kms on my xm and I am attempting to pull the plugs. Want to check compression since it is feeling sluggish (4800 is a lot on a 2 stroke). The one plug is definitely a PITA. What kind of special tool did you guys come up with? Pics would be great.

Top Bottom