07 XRS idle hangs up at 3000k, pull choke and it come down.

BIB

Reaction score
I have a 07 xrs 800r. when the sled is cold everything works fine. When the sled is warm the rpm hangs at about 3000 rpm and sits there. If I put the choke on briefly the rpm will come down to normal. As soon as I rev it up again the same thing happens. Any ideas?

BIB

Reaction score
Carb boots look good. I am around Edmonton. Idle screws are out 1 3/4 turns.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might need the next size pilot jets

But my 07 never had a issue in central a.b.

If u don't flip the gas will it creap up ??

from my HTC

BIB

Reaction score
This is a new issue, it did work properly before. If I choke it and don't rev it, the idle will stay down until next time it is reved up.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HOw about the reed cage boots? Carb boots are before air/fuel mix, reed boots are after and can affect the ratio. Take a real close look. So many people miss it. Look inside and out.

PB130399.jpg

Carb boots look good. I am around Edmonton. Idle screws are out 1 3/4 turns.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well. Mabe crap in the carb bowl and a 1/2 pluged up jet or port.

Make sure u realy look the carb boots over

Make sure all exhaust manifold bolts are tight and in.

All can cause the issue

from my HTC

BIB

Reaction score
Ok check and cleaned carbs, they were very clean. Boots are good on carbs and Manifold bolts are tight. Any other ideas?

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How is your throttle cable? Is the oil pump cable frayed at the pump? Perhaps your cable is bound somewhere and your throttle is open a tad. Make sure your carb slides are seated all the way down.

Ok check and cleaned carbs, they were very clean. Boots are good on carbs and Manifold bolts are tight. Any other ideas?

Mattjames

Reaction score
I had the same issue with my 04 rev. I adjusted the idle about a half turn out and it seemed to fix the problem.

nielsy

Reaction score
it may sound stupid but it could be your temp sensor it will affect idle when operating temperature is reached the worst part is it doesn't trigger engine light seen this twice

BIB

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I set the idle down and adjusted the Pilot screws back to 1 1/2. It is better but upon checking the settings in the manual I noticed the following. On wide open throtle the gate is a little higher than spec. The choke cam is to be 0 to 1/64" from the stop, the closest I can get it about 1/4". It works well but it seems to take me a couple of extra pulls to start it when cold now. My buddy
has the same sled and it always seems to be easer to start than mine. On any given day if it takes me 4 pulls to cold start it his is two. My question is are those specs just guidelines or should I take it in and get it set up back to factory specs? I was going to set it up myself and try it but the info also says you need to hook it up to the doo software and set up the tps if you make changes. what do you think?

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Thanks for the input. I set the idle down and adjusted the Pilot screws back to 1 1/2. It is better but upon checking the settings in the manual I noticed the following. On wide open throtle the gate is a little higher than spec. The choke cam is to be 0 to 1/64" from the stop, the closest I can get it about 1/4". It works well but it seems to take me a couple of extra pulls to start it when cold now. My buddy
has the same sled and it always seems to be easer to start than mine. On any given day if it takes me 4 pulls to cold start it his is two. My question is are those specs just guidelines or should I take it in and get it set up back to factory specs? I was going to set it up myself and try it but the info also says you need to hook it up to the doo software and set up the tps if you make changes. what do you think?

I would try opening the fuel screws.... Sounds like you need #20 pilot jets. Happened to me.... Except I thought I had an engine issue and rebuilt the top end. After the rebuild it still did the same thing (high idle that only came down with addition of more fuel with choke), so I installed #20 pilots instead of the #17.5's and all is good. Yours will have #17.5's too (part number 404161944)

BIB

Reaction score
if i go with the 20 pilots. do i set them at 1.5 turns out?

Top Bottom