09 xp clutch changes on 08?

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone hearing any feedback on the new reverse angle helix? Getting one put in my 08 as we speak. Dealer says BRP reps are saying it's a big improvement and a good update to the 08. Anyone have any feedback

MoFoREVxp154

Reaction score
it can be done at a cost to you. No parts yet and about $300ish for parts. And its not just the helix That need to be changed

As for feed back-get upgrade.

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My dealer has the helix so I am going to start there at least and see how that works. I didn;t have a lot of the issues other guys had last year. Never lost a belt all year. Only issue I found was losing track speed. This new helix is supposed to take care of that....we will see.

senorjeem

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 08 started out great, and then suddenly would not maintain rpm if I was climbing in the pow. If I was on a semi packed track, the issue was almost gone. Took the secondary apart...no problem. Took the primary apart, and found all of the TRA rollers to be screwed. All of the had excessive play, and the bushings inside were totally worn out. Weird.

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's lots of info posted out there on what guys are doing, try snowest and Dootalk as well. That being said there is a lot of bad info as well. Most of the updates / improvements really depend on your riding style and how much cash you are willing to throw around. I have an 08 everest and so far have not blown a single belt. I had the hand warmer update done, geared down to 19 tooth )warranty paid but my choice I like the bottom end grunt it has now rather than the 90 mph + top speed stock) , shaft recall completed, new rear shock, added pin weight to clutch to keep rpm's down and ecu reflash. All fo this was done under warranty. There will always be issues with a first year sled but BRP and my dealer has taken care of every one of them so no complaints. When I was getting the drive shaft replaced I had the dealer change out the helix to the new reverse angle helix, again my choice, I just wanted to maintain track speed in the steep and deep and the new helix is supposed to doo just that. I will let you know how it works when I get out sometime in early December.

Lot's of guys are adding vent kits to deal with heat in the clutches but I never had this issue so won't be adding them unless I see a need and so far I don't.

Again search the other sites as well and you will find lots of info, some good and some bad. Hint, always look at what the guy posting is riding...lots of "I have a friend who has a friend who had this problem etc...etc...etc...

All in all I love the XP, best sled I have ever ridden. Only problem I ever have is the overstretching of my arms every time I ride....lol ride it and enjoy it, they are a blast.

Maxwe

Reaction score
I would sit on the side line on the 09 before rushing out and spending money on it. They may have fixed the over reving issue on the trail but unclear what it will do in the snow. The dealer doesnt know even though they are trying to convince us differently, They are the same ones who in 07 and 08 told us us we were the only guys having issues. Wait a month and the verdict will be in

cdnsleddog

Reaction score
Just got back from two days in Golden on my 09 Summit X 163...looks like the clutching is spot on for the steep and deep. This things works!

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good to hear, can't wait for the first ride on my 08 with the new helix.

Canadian JR

Reaction score
I rode my new 09 XP 154 last weekend in Revy. The sled worked good by the clutching is not great. We were riding in about 2 feet of heavy wet snow so the sled was really working hard to maintain RPM. The clutchs and belt was getting so hot after a long pull you could smell rubber. You couldn't even think about touching them they were so hot. The other big issue was that there was little to no back shift with this clutching setup. My old revs would back shift and help slow me down when going down hills but this setup just causes the sled to free wheel.
After riding for two day and putting on about 180km I changed the secondary spring to a yellow spring. This is the same spring that guys were putting in the 08 xp last. This sping has alot higher end load which will give more belt squeeze reducing clutch/belt slip. On sunday the back shift was better and the clutchs not near as hot even though the snow was heavier. The track speed while climbing was about the same @ 60kmh This was a good step in the right direction but more changes are needed. We had a 08 XP in our group that was stock except for 19 tooth gear on the top. It was also only getting about 60kmh climbing.
More testing is needed at elevation and in the deep snow before I would be going out and spending the $300 plus to change out the helix. The 42 helix from last year will give you a stronger back shift so if you like having this you will not want to install the 43-47 helix the 09's have in them.

Reaction score
Had my 08 154 out today. Had the 09 clutch set up done last week and added heavier rollers. I was very happy with the set up, had the clickers set on 4 and no complaints at all this sled can really move now.

Reaction score
Problem that needs correction now is that the clutch does not engage until 4400 rpm, that is too high. Where should engagement be at; and what needs to be done to get it there.

lightening1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Problem that needs correction now is that the clutch does not engage until 4400 rpm, that is too high. Where should engagement be at; and what needs to be done to get it there.

rode my 09 163 last weekend in 4' of powder and the sled was brand new and worked great, was getting 42-45 mph track speed on any climb and the rpm was about 200 low but that will come back after its broke in. I put the pl/pl spring in the primary for the high engagement thing its down to around 3900-4000 now.

hardcorex

Reaction score
hey lightening, what did your 163 have in the primary originally? was it the green -purple spring.

Top Bottom