2010 Crossfire Dalton adjustable weights.... Need some help!

gallays

Reaction score
Hey guys i bought a set of dalton adjustable weights for my crossfire. Just wondering where guys have been placing the set screws? I have roughly 69 g in it now, but all bottomed out at the tip. Im engaging at 6000 rpm, so obviously i need to transfer some weight to the heel to get the engagement down. How is everyone running theirs? Where are you positioning them? Whats working? Any tips would be great! Thanks guys! The set i have is the 63.5g to 71g set.

Reaction score
I got a 08 m1000 with full slp kit. I put cutlers adjustable weights they were 80 grams and i added another 3.1 grams to the back and no tip weight works really good 162 track its also got a gold spring from a m7 in it engages at 3000 rpm tops out at 7500 rpm

gallays

Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for the quick replies, its a 2010 crossfire with the 800
HO. 141" x 2.25" challenger with a jaws can, besides that its stock, its got the stock primary spring and i want to set it up for 3000-6000 feet, i bought a straight 36 helix for when i take it up to the hills. I just want to know the best way to load these weights. They say they work best with 67 grams at elevation. I want to be around 8050 to 8100 rpm.

gallays

Reaction score
I just want to know where to set my set screws in the base weight to get the proper engagement and peak rpms

apex88

Reaction score
I always bottom the set screws at the tip and bottom the next screw into the first one, etc. are you sure you have the correct weight range, if so and your engaging at 6000 you may have a binding problem in the primary!

gallays

Reaction score
Right now i have all my weight loaded in the tip and my engagement is way up around 6000, i want it around 4000. So i wonder if i should keep a little bit in the tip and move the rest back up to heel?

gallays

Reaction score
It was just fully serviced at the cat dealer they went through both clutches. They installed the weights and i was gonna play with them. So there shouldnt be any issues with the clutches.

apex88

Reaction score
I don't think you can do that with the Daltons, something is odd here for your engagement to rise 2000 rpms, are you sure nothing is binding or sticking, I have run three sets of Daltons now and have never seen the engagement rpm change that much, All three on 800 HO Cats.

gallays

Reaction score
Yeah i dont know what to say, the only thing i can think is that theres too much weight in the tip and thats why its taking such high rpms to engage. Im honestly not sure. I had a broken clutch spring that was a recall on the 2010s which was also changed when it was in there.

apex88

Reaction score
Actually the heavier the tip the quicker it will engage, maybe they missed a piece of the broken in the clutch, that would raise your engagement rpm, what are you getting for max rpm?

gallays

Reaction score
I just picked it up from the dealer and he told me it was engaging at 6000 rpm and he figured i needed less weight in the tip and more in the heel, i havent had it out yet to see the max rpm

gallays

Reaction score
It came stock with 67 gram weights, and call for 65 gram for 3000' to 6000'. I got the 63.5 gram to 71 gram adjustables, so it seems
like the perfect set.

apex88

Reaction score
Is this the part # of your weights, QACA-LW. Engagement should be around 4200 rpm for 0 to 3000 ft and 71grams and yellow/white primary spring should have you at 8000 to 8100 max rpm.

gallays

Reaction score
Yeah thats the set i have, i wonder if i should try loading the weights right up to 71 grams for low elevation, i have them
loaded to roughly 69 grams right now with all the weight in the tip

apex88

Reaction score
I would still pop the cover of the clutch and check for binding in the clutch moveable sheave, weights, rollers etc. and maybe an extra coil of old spring in there!

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just picked it up from the dealer and he told me it was engaging at 6000 rpm and he figured i needed less weight in the tip and more in the heel, i havent had it out yet to see the max rpm

I would still pop the cover of the clutch and check for binding in the clutch moveable sheave, weights, rollers etc. and maybe an extra coil of old spring in there!

I would start by looking for a new dealer, one that knows what he is talking about. Like Apex88 said tear down the clutch and check for binding.

good luck.

Rjjtcross8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the yellow/white upgrade your engagement should end up lower vs the stock spring. Something is binding for sure like the others have said.

Top Bottom