Polaris clutching 1994.

ponyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hello everyone. i recently picked up an older but in decent shape 425 magnum 4x4 cheap and runs good . last owner did 0 too no preventative maintenance. now i have parts all over the garage floor and the wife is shaking her head at me once again . should not cost a lot as i will do the work myself. clutches are dusty but otherwise in excellent shape. i would like to change weights and spring in primary.for more bottom end torque. my question is . can the drive line/transmission handle this higher RPM engagement.
both clutches are coming off for a good cleaning anyways. any comments would be appreciated THANKS CHRIS

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What wieghts and sprins are you thinking about? Tranny with take higher engagment RPM as long as it's not really high.

ponyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for your reply GARRY. quad still has factory weights and spring , as far as after market parts go i was hoping that you could tell me. i no what a big weight change will do too a sled having built a grass dragger that engaged @ 7200 rpm , with 200 ice picks , hold on ! but it doe's not go threw a gear box, will post factory grams and spring color later if need be. right now i can hardly carry my honey do list , so i better get at it thanks CHRIS

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok. What are you trying to accomplish with a change of weights and spring? I assume the 425 will not become a dragster.:D

ponyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HELLO GARRY . JUST TRYING TOO GET A LITTLE MORE BOTTOM END POWER OUT IT WITHOUT SACRAFICING TOO MUCH TOP END SPEED, CALL ME CRAZY, BUT STOCK SUCKS. ALLSO HAVE THE SAME TRUCK AS YOU, NICE TOO DRIVE BUT HARD ON FUEL.
SHOULD I LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE , CLUTCHING IS CHEAP POWER THANKs , CHRIS

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok. On the primary go with either a white spring (Scrambler) or for 200 RPM more than white go with the green spring.

If my memory serves me right your seconday is the button style. IF it does have buttons then it has numbered holes in each sheeve; set the seconday spring to 2-2. While your in the secondary, check and setup the belt deflection (OEM setup is almost always too loose); remove shims to tighten deflection but make sure there is at least one shim in there.

These adjustments will help out of the hole and slow upshift while improving backshift. Might loose 3-5 MPH on top end.

If your pockets are deep and you want to do this right, replace the secondary with a Team Roller (roller, no buttons) and replace the primary with one from a 800 Sportsman (smaller sprag clutch = lower gearing out of the hole).

If ththe clutches have been neglected check the nylon bushings for wear.

Top Bottom