Salmo Creston Pass Caribou

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is what the Caribou look like up the Salmo Creston Pass. In 11 years of living here, this is my first time seeing the elusive Caribou. There were 2 on the Highway.
038.jpg

this one was blowing a raspberry at us
043.jpg

PonyboyCurtis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WOW! I was begining to think they were just making it up. Thats the first time i have seen them and i have done alot of work up porcupine creek.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Saw one this summer at the summit on my way back from Christina Lake. There were a bunch of vehicles parked on the side of the road watching it so I stopped to.

bogey

Reaction score
Seen 2 caribou in June 2 years ago walking right down the middle of the highway just east of the summit webcam with cars having to weave around them. My though was that natural selection may be what's killing these animals of as they were totally unconcerned about the traffic small and large including very large b train semi,s.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hope there wasn't any good sledding in the Salmo Creston Pass...cats outta the bag now. Lol
This area is a designated Caribou zone. I have never seen them until now. Kind of gave me a weird feeling to have all these closures in the name of the mystical Creature called a Caribou. It feels better now knowing they actually do exist, and look healthy. Everyone around here is really responsible and abide by the Caribou closure laws. No one wants to lose any Land due to misuse or abuse. The caribou closure areas are very well marked.

My reason for posting the pictures of these creatures is basically to confirm that they actually do exist. The last thing anyone wants is to lose any more land due to Caribou. It only takes one person to say meh...... those fuggers don't exist I'm going to shred that peak... then BAM.. we lose another area. I truly believe we sledders can coincide with the Caribou and not provoke any more land closures.

Last edited:

ss_badaz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ha...... always thought those were fake Cariboo that are placed in the ditch to lure the Wolves out on to the Hi-way.....:d Think B.C. reached its limit for closers this year over in Revy!

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I saw 3 wolves on the hiway Creston side of the pass coming back from Nelson last week. Maybe they could all get introduced to each other. :D

haa haa! That's funny! I've seen wolves a couple of times on the pass. Big healthy wolves.
Next time you go to Nelson, please stop into the store to see me!! I'd love to put a face to the name!

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I narrowly missed taking 2 out last winter on the Salmo Creston. Might have been the same ones. I fly a lot in the area and I have seen this herd as well as the herd that lives in the Purcells on more than one occasion from the helicopter.

treeboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was very dissipointed when I drove from my backyard up lost and saw the closure signs this summer, i was getting excited that i could ride right from my place up there.

ss_badaz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Treeboy, should be all good riding into Panther Lake and due East towards John Bull, no idea how far you can get this time of year some nasty terrain in there and the boundary of DW is the North side ridge line. Some Areas in there you can ride with a permit/see clubs.
But the access up the headwaters of Sheep to Elmo/Devil’s hole is buggered via Sheep Ck.
You think there is a old mine shaft at the Motherload we can take detour underground....:eek: LOL....

treeboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was up in the pass skiing on the weekend, still nuggets hiding just under the snow. With all the new fall going on this week up top it should be getting better up top on the peaks, looking forward for sledding new terrain

Top Bottom