chain case problems

mrbrown

Reaction score
Have a 2003 MountainCat 900 with reverse.
I would like to remove the reverse altogether from this sled? (having problems)
I need any info about the best place to order parts. (chain case, gears, chain)
Also I heard that you can get a more robust chain that is for a polaris sled.
If anyone knows the part #'s that would be great.
thanks

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what the problem with trans / HVO chain & spockets ,you can use chain case that there just have to run one Ideler spocket

mrbrown

Reaction score
I would like to replace the case because the old owner had the case welded.
It had a crack.
Could use if I had to.

Also the pins and the gear for the reverse are worn.
It would come out of engagement under heavy load.
Don't like the design of the reverse system that is why I want it removed.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my buddy run this up here and set up and maintained they work good the 900s should have the chain replace after it loosens up some new pawl buttons & chain worry free riding

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would replace the chaincase with one that did not have reverse. Then contact Recreational Supply in Saskatoon for the Hyvo chain and sprockets. I checked them out for the upgraded chain and found out I can't install it because mine has reverse and the one sprocket can't be changed.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hvo chain you have to take reverse out can use the case buy two new spockets hvo's & chain there not realy that much stronger than linkbelt chain if the cases arn't leaking oil use them the bottom reverse spocket can be replaced with a regular spocket/hvo

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What chain case problems do you have ? I have a 2003 800 with reverse and so far no problems. I replaced the chain and the bearings after 2000 miles . ( chain and bearings were ok but since I removed the skid and the drivers - I decided to do it while everything is apart) . Most problems arise from a slack chain (stretched chain from too many miles - or abuse) or misalginment of the gears. Phone Outlaw Rv in Vegriville ask for Jeff. He had a pile of stock chains and covers from reverse upgardes (I know mine was in his pile of stock chaincases covers, and gears). 2004 1M and recent King Cat parts should work.
Cheers

Last edited:

mrbrown

Reaction score
so I have decided to buy and replace the chain case. Also want to put the HYVO chain and sprockets into the case.

The problem I now have is that the chain I have is for the reverse system and is way to long and I need to give Recreational Supply the length of chain I need. (no reverse)

thanks for all the input.

mrbrown

Reaction score
hvo chain you have to take reverse out can use the case buy two new spockets hvo's & chain there not realy that much stronger than linkbelt chain if the cases arn't leaking oil use them the bottom reverse spocket can be replaced with a regular spocket/hvo

So if I understand the message correct
you are saying that I could use the case cover I have for the reverse and use it and just replace the bottom sprocket and chain?
or I could also replace both sprockets and chain with HYVO stuff and use the reverse case just with no reverse.

right?

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did that and left the ideler spocket in the mix , it bolts though the cover and the chain does not rub on the shaft I have spockets lower not a 43 though want one pm me

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did that and left the ideler spocket in the mix , it bolts though the cover and the chain does not rub on the shaft I have spockets lower not a 43 though want one pm me

The case is the same between stock and reverse. The reverse kit has a different (deeper) cover with a stub shaft for the idle sprocket and shift arm mechanism. I can't see why with a shorter chian, no gear idler and with the shift mechanism disabled (lock out the floating gear) - why it would not work.
Keep us posted

cheers

mallard d69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
where is a good place to buy a reverse kit i have a 2002 800 mountaincat and i'd like to get reverse im just not looking to spend a fortune for it.would consider used if price was right
thanks

firecat99

Reaction score
I have a full chaincase assembely out of a 98 ZR it has pretty low gears but its mint but could use a new chain. Iam pretty sure its the same as yours as the only difference is they rolled the chaincase on the 03 and up back a bit to run the 9 tooth drivers and get rid of the arctic cat notched track. PM if interested

mrbrown

Reaction score
I am sorry it took so long to reply.
So I decided to give Outlaw Rv in Vegriville a Call and he had a used case without reverse, used bottom gear and a new chain. $200

So I am hoping that I have all the parts That I need.
thanks for everyones input into my problem.
saved me a ton of money.

just waiting for the parts to arrive.

Top Bottom