Nytro Starter Replacement?

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Has anyone done a replacement of a Nytro starter yet? I tried to get it out but looks like I have to pull the motor. Ive now started taking off the exhaust manifolds, and then the intercooler. Then will have to get to the nitty gritty and get it apart to get the starter out. Its shy of coming out by about 3/8 of an inch.:( I guess its a 6 hr job and a $530 bill. Talked a bit to the guys from Slave Lake Yamaha, they did this on a unmodified nytro and they had to loosten the motor and tilt it back. Its a tight fit.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2 years old that should be warranty, damm thing should last longer than that, any time some of these things go bad a guy should dump them.

Apex162

Reaction score
Ron never seen a guy with such bad luck, its lucky that your rich!!!:p

• Admin

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I guess I have to lean the motor foward. Remove air-box. (intercooler), seat, tank, flex headers, take the rear mounting bolt for the engine and slip the motor foward. Now I got to find parts for the starter quick. Spoke to SLY about this last night as well as they just replaces one on another nytro.

SLY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not a very common problem. Yes we had to replace one but that's the first starter we have had to replace on a 4 stroke since 2003. Sounds like your's just has some moisture in it somehow, I would take it apart and service and reseal it, as long as nothing is damaged.

• Admin

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
First of all I would like to say this is not a small job. Its even worse when you have to remove an intercooler and all the turbo stuff. Had to suspend the engine and remove all the mounting bolts. Finally were able to drop the starter out. Added a few more cuts to my hands and said colorfull words.
Then I took the starter apart, note by the picture the brushes. One brush is very odd looking, it sticks out. Hmmm, Ive had starting issues all along, always have to have a fully charged battery to start this. Otherwise the starter was DRY inside, just alot of brush debris. I ordered seals and a brush set.

Attachments

• Resized_starter1.jpg
    Resized_starter1.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 260
  • Resized_starter2.jpg
    Resized_starter2.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 230
  • Resized_starter3.jpg
    Resized_starter3.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 235
  • Resized_starter4.jpg
    Resized_starter4.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 162
  • Resized_starter5.jpg
    Resized_starter5.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 271
  • Resized_starter6.jpg
    Resized_starter6.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 274

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
The one that's sticking out, is probably the only one that was working properly - the spring behind the brush, pushes the brushes out to contact the slip ring on the armature, so it is proper, and the other 3 are sticking inside the holders for some reason....... Rest are stuck and seized back in place?? Get that starter to me today, and maybe it just needs a good cleaning.....

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I will bring it by, thanks. I ordered a brush kit that should be in today. Paid the rush fee. This now explains alot. I remember when I bought this it needed a boost and then I was out and had to plug in the charger many times at night. Then when I installed the smaller battery it would hardly turn the motor over. I have gone through 3 solonoids, 2 batterys. And needed several boosts over a year and a half. I guess I had a dud starter right from new. Just glad it always started when off on a trip and
never left me stranded. I'm glad I took it apart. Now to get it back together.

SLY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good that it turned out to be a cheap fix for you, just a little labour intensive.

Top Bottom