Apex clutching / Overrev issues?

Jeepindg

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have 06 apex mountain i just got a month ago, so im still new with the 4-stroke sleds.

My question is I took it for a ride yesterday in the 2 inches of snow we got down the driveway and across the feild,

Whenever i would go to full throttle it would spin the track lots but it would basicaly run on the rev limiter,

For example riding half throttle on feild --nail the throttle and she would just bam -11000 rpm (She would be fishtailing-track was spining) and the rev limiter would be doing its thing.

IS this normal to hit the rev limiter while riding
or do you think it is not enough snow to gain proper traction and spining the track would do this even at 60-80kmh?? when i pin the throttle??
or would you think the clutches arent shifting enough--Need heavyer weights or something??

Thanks in advance

Dustin:confused:

Washy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not enough snow to just punch it and not expect it to hit the rev limiter. You will need to ride it in more snow before you start dumping money into clutching for no reason. Although it is probably set up for the mountains.

Jeepindg

Reaction score
I was reading in another thread that a old belt can make this hapen? or the clutching can be out of wack --I need a yellow spring ect??

My Girlfriend has a vector 136" and whent out yesterday and hers doesent hit the limiter??----(yes she has 30 less HP but a shorter track right)

I agree id ride and try it more to really find the problem but we are going to Valemont on the 27th (Next weekend) and would like to iron out as many kinks as I can before we leave.

Thanks for the sugestion and please keep them coming

Dustin

apex69

Reaction score
call mark at t&t power sports he will tell u what u need the yamahas r shiped with 11000ft clutching out of the box 780-826-6121

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your going to tag the rev limiter if it is set up for the mountains. If it is stock set up you will have a yellow pink yellow spring in the primary. and 8fs weights.

I set stock apex's up with Y/P/Y spring, 8fp weights and 1 X 17mm steel rivet in the toe hole. for riders that are in the 200lbs range. Your secondary will be fine were it is set.... at the 6 setting.

If you want the 8fs weight.... load them up, 17 toe, 13.3 center and empty on the inner.... to start......should be in the 10200 to 10500 range.

apex69

Reaction score
your going to tag the rev limiter if it is set up for the mountains. If it is stock set up you will have a yellow pink yellow spring in the primary. and 8fs weights.

I set stock apex's up with Y/P/Y spring, 8fp weights and 1 X 17mm steel rivet in the toe hole. for riders that are in the 200lbs range. Your secondary will be fine were it is set.... at the 6 setting.

If you want the 8fs weight.... load them up, 17 toe, 13.3 center and empty on the inner.... to start......should be in the 10200 to 10500 range.

you should try the proper helix it wakes that sled up big time

Jeepindg

Reaction score
Hey Thanks for the advice Ill admit i really dont know much about clutching and the changes for different altitudes.

Ill give you an update on the problem and what I have foung out in my last 4 KM LOL.

I have a Yellow/ Purple/ Yellow spring in my primary clutch,

im 240LBS

It seems to run out of legs, --The engine seems incredibly strong but it seems to not shift and it wouldent go as fast as it seems it wants to,

I took a short burst in the feild and it would slow the accelerating at 115 KMH or so-the engine feels like it should pull hard way longer.

Im riding it in the Edmonton area-(2300FT elevation) --If this maters much

And the clutch seems clean and free no binding or sticking that I could tell, from compressing it with my hands with the belt on--(Compressed about 1/2inch till it hit the belt)

Please keep the sugestions coming I really appreciate them all.:)

Thanks,
Dustin

Last edited:

bluehill

Reaction score
Would that helix work on a 2009 Apex MTX driven at 1000'-2700' ?

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Thanks for the advice Ill admit i really dont know much about clutching and the changes for different altitudes.

Ill give you an update on the problem and what I have foung out in my last 4 KM LOL.

I have a Yellow/ Purple/ Yellow spring in my primary clutch,

im 240LBS

It seems to run out of legs, --The engine seems incredibly strong but it seems to not shift and it wouldent go as fast as it seems it wants to,

I took a short burst in the feild and it would slow the accelerating at 115 KMH or so-the engine feels like it should pull hard way longer.

Im riding it in the Edmonton area-(2300FT elevation) --If this maters much

And the clutch seems clean and free no binding or sticking that I could tell, from compressing it with my hands with the belt on--(Compressed about 1/2inch till it hit the belt)

Please keep the sugestions coming I really appreciate them all.:)

Thanks,
Dustin

When I had the stock clutch set-up, it would hit the rev limiter until I got above about 3500ft. And it would run out of gearing at around 135kph - there are not too many spots in the mtns you can run at 135. Sounds like it's running fine. Maybe there are better set-ups but I found the stock one fine...the 4stroke has a forgiving torque/hp curve, you loose very little hp if your out by 400 rpms.

If you want to use it at home on the trails and in the Mtns you might want to add some weight and just accept being under rpm in the mtns. Or get some Dalton adjustable weights, they make it stupid easy to adjust clutch weight.

Top Bottom