warn winch

gladerunner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my winch will only come out...it will not wind back up...all connections seem tight. would this be a relay problem(under the rear tire) or is it a problem in the winch...anyboby come across this problem before?

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
- need more info- how old is unit, if two or more yrs old did you have the selonoid replaced for the recall,

is this the first time you had the same problem, if not you may have a bad connection or need a new selonoid,

easy check, reverse wires on winch if it now goes in but not out it you know the winch itself is ok.

chk the wires at the switch. make sure you have a good connection.

also most warn winches have a very small (red) power wire and it may short out and cause your winch to fail, if your checking the wiring anyway, nows a good time to check it out.

we have had some of the new smaller rocker type switches that needed replacement but for the most part its your selenoid thats the problem.

good luck,

T

rocketron

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my wife's does this from time to time. It seems to be the worst when there is a heavy electical load (fan on) then it will be fine after the fan shuts off.:confused:

gladerunner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its on a 2006 yamaha bruin. there was a recall on this? and this was the first time it happened..i will try to reverse the wires to see if this works ..thanks for the info

- need more info- how old is unit, if two
more yrs old did you have the selonoid replaced for the recall,

is this the first time you had the same problem, if not you may have a bad connection or need a new selonoid,

easy check, reverse wires on winch if it now goes in but not out it you know the winch itself is ok.

chk the wires at the switch. make sure you have a good connection.

also most warn winches have a very small (red) power wire and it may short out and cause your winch to fail, if your checking the wiring anyway, nows a good time to check it out.

we have had some of the new smaller rocker type switches that needed replacement but for the most part its your selenoid thats the problem.

good luck,

T

LeoClark

Reaction score
You could also check where your wires from the switch lead. Mine were wrapped around the steering column pretty tight and everytime i had the wheels turned to the right it would pull them out and not winch in. but only when they were to the right.

T-GUY1978

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i had the same problem, what happened was the groung wire coming from the winch was worn through and shorting out on the frame, don't know why it would only work one way but after fixing that it works fine, hope this helps

iamcanadian

Reaction score
Did you ever find the problem on the winch? I have the same problem. I have a spare winch with all the wiring, so I tried to trouble shoot. I hooked the spare winch up and it would still winch out but not in. Then i hooked the spare switch up, all the way to the relay, and same thing. I'm thinking it may be the relay... took that apart and must have put it back together wrong cause now nothing works!

gumbylee

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
had the same problem....took relay apart and found small trigger wire burnt
coukjd not fix paid 85 for new relay and problem solved

iamcanadian

Reaction score
I got it fixed. Turns out there was a tiny wire that broke in the solonoid... soldered it together and now it works! And the kicker is that my spare solonoid that was broken was recalled, so Warn sent me a new one for free!

Top Bottom