800 Polaris Engine Failure Prevention

Senshi

Reaction score
Guys: With all the talk and rants about the 800's exploding, injesting snow etc, I have talked to every service tech I can locate and have found out one very common symptom: operating temperature. Several machines have popped within 2-3 kms of the staging areas. On teardown, signs of 4 corener seizure are evident (shock cooling to those of you that know anything about aircraft piston engines). You may think your sled is ready to hammer on and you could be setting yourself up for disaster. If you can feel heat on the tunnel exchanger then your are good to go, not before. You may think this is bull.... but why take the chance? My old 'Doo suffered from a cold seizure; once! I learned but not before it cost me an entire rebuild ($1500 in 1990). As for the pre-filter patch on the dash, and any other preventative measure, is anybody's machine not worth $30?
Happy trails

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There have been a couple '09's that i've seen that it's been the bearings on the crank that are piling up, also have had to change out a few sensors that are in the exh pipe also.. And as far as i'm concerned when i spend 10-13,000 dollars on a sled why should i have to spend money to fix a design fault in the sled.. if it is something that works but changing it will improve it then fine.. But not if i have to fix something so that myu engine might not blow-up, that should be one poolaris to fix. My two cents.

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any word on the 08 700 (Dragon) engines experiencing these problems? Mine's only got about 500 miles on it, but I noticed some mid to 2/3 throttle bogging when I was riding about 3 weeks ago. We were running across a field and there was about a foot to 18 inches of powder. Didn't know about the snow ingestion problem being mentioned then, so didn't check for it and we haven't had any powder since to speak of. Not sure yet what was causing it. Temp was about +4.

Senshi

Reaction score
I heard of one 700 from '07 having a bog that was related to the ECU. As far as I know Polaris put in a whole new ECU, program etc. It was a guy from another location from where I live, and it was second hand knowledge. Just what I heard.

Senshi

Reaction score
Hey I'm not suggesting that the company shouldn't come clean and ante up with the fixes. I justl believe that prevention is far better than cure. I sure as hell don't drive the bag off my Duramax with the engine and tranny cold to test the validity of GM's warranty procedures!

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my 09 800 was at 126degrees when it locked solid! 15min later it came loose,it even started but 1 hole went down.i don't move my sled till it touches 100 degrees.so i think there is more to it than cold seize.every time had hood open never seen any sign of snow dust anywhere near air box.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Timbo I agree I wait till engine coolant temp is 118-121. No issues on mine.

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guys: With all the talk and rants about the 800's exploding, injesting snow etc, I have talked to every service tech I can locate and have found out one very common symptom: operating temperature. Several machines have popped within 2-3 kms of the staging areas. On teardown, signs of 4 corener seizure are evident (shock cooling to those of you that know anything about aircraft piston engines). You may think your sled is ready to hammer on and you could be setting yourself up for disaster. If you can feel heat on the tunnel exchanger then your are good to go, not before. You may think this is bull.... but why take the chance? My old 'Doo suffered from a cold seizure; once! I learned but not before it cost me an entire rebuild ($1500 in 1990). As for the pre-filter patch on the dash, and any other preventative measure, is anybody's machine not worth $30?
Happy trails

This is the biggest crock I have heard in a long time.....99% of the people who ride sled's know about proper warm up. This isn't even an issue with these 800's, so I don't really understand where your coming from? All these machine's are breaking down because Polaris has a few design flaws! (who doesn't?)And that's FACT! There is a direct path in the intake via the headlight adj knob(Who the F@#K adjust's there head light?)and the owner has to spend $30 bucks to remedy? Not cool! I feel very bad for our dealership having to deal with this stuff and they are helping my friend out as much as they possibly can.......but to try and say that they are cold siezing.....? Come on, were smarter than that! .....Do you work for Polaris?

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i have read and herd from some peeps that theres an issue in the feul mapping , that its a bit lean in the mid range, and ive seen a few pics of the blown pistons and they look like lean burn down to me, IMO

Senshi

Reaction score
No I don't, but if I did, I could maybe raise some S*#@ and get some info that actually helps instead of just passing on what other riders and some mechanics have told me. I don't like to see anyone have grief no matter what they ride; everyone has different wants and likes/dislikes. That's why we have more than one brand out there.

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No I don't, but if I did, I could maybe raise some S*#@ and get some info that actually helps instead of just passing on what other riders and some mechanics have told me. I don't like to see anyone have grief no matter what they ride; everyone has different wants and likes/dislikes. That's why we have more than one brand out there.

I think your reading into this a little too much DJ. I love the fact that there is 4 major brand's to choose from, and I enjoy sitting down at the end of the day and talk about how they all performed. If I rib someone on here, or in person about any brand, I know they can take it......cause it happen's all the time in my crowd. How boring would this sport be if we were all riding the same thing?

wade1974

Reaction score
Truth be told , all the brands have theirown problems that we as consumers have to deal with. The real question is will polaris step up and and fix this mess in a sensible time frame???:BSmeter:

BrosBeforeHos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't hold your breathe........Polaris doesn't have the intelluct to solve these problems in a timely manner!!! My season has been a total bust because of them a#@holes, and I have 13,000 dollar machine that I wouldn't trust 100 feet from my door. Yahhhhhhh....POLARIS!!:rant::rant::rant:

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't hold your breathe........Polaris doesn't have the intelluct to solve these problems in a timely manner!!! My season has been a total bust because of them a#@holes, and I have 13,000 dollar machine that I wouldn't trust 100 feet from my door. Yahhhhhhh....POLARIS!!:rant::rant::rant:

Yes.....but did you let it warm up? :eek:

bubba700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For guys with the 800s there is a new reflash out that is supposed to fix the bog and the lean area in the mid range which is where most of these are locking up at, not on WO pulls. Also instead of 30$ fix, slap a black piece of tape over it, done and if your riding powpow you never see it anyhow since its covered in snow.
Couple things I got from service techs down here when I got a new topend last winter due to scored pistons and jugs on my 7. Don't tow these with out covers on them. The road dust will eventually work its way through the intake filters and Fug your motor over. Also make sure you heat soak you engine, IE. let it warm to 120 ish then shut it down for 10 to 15 before you run it. This Will let your crank and bearings be all the way to operating temps which will min. wear and chance of sezing.

growly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told by the dealer to warm it up to 100 before riding,and to watch what fuel you put in it. Mohawk/husky and Chevron all have additives that may F-up your engine. If in doubt run 10% C-12 or C-16.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the perfect Polaris 800 engine failure prevention. Get it stolen(before you blow it up), collect insurance and buy anything but polaris crap:d

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the perfect Polaris 800 engine failure prevention. Get it stolen(before you blow it up), collect insurance and buy anything but polaris crap:d
Oh I wasnt sure how that plan was supposed to work. Anyways nice picture of your brother:nono::nono::d:d

06 Dragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I sure hope mine holds together 09 D8, or it will be a double mistake for me. My last machine was a 06 D900 Plagued with issues after the first season.
I hate to say it but if the 09 D8 gives me any trouble I will probably go to another brand.:rant:

Top Bottom