LoginRegister
SnowandMud.com - Powered by vBulletin

Today's Posts
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

800 Polaris Engine Failure Prevention

Discuss 800 Polaris Engine Failure Prevention in the POLARIS CHAT forums; Guys: With all the talk and rants about the 800's exploding, injesting snow etc, I have talked to every service ...

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation 800 Polaris Engine Failure Prevention

Guys: With all the talk and rants about the 800's exploding, injesting snow etc, I have talked to every service tech I can locate and have found out one very common symptom: operating temperature. Several machines have popped within 2-3 kms of the staging areas. On teardown, signs of 4 corener seizure are evident (shock cooling to those of you that know anything about aircraft piston engines). You may think your sled is ready to hammer on and you could be setting yourself up for disaster. If you can feel heat on the tunnel exchanger then your are good to go, not before. You may think this is bull.... but why take the chance? My old 'Doo suffered from a cold seizure; once! I learned but not before it cost me an entire rebuild ($1500 in 1990). As for the pre-filter patch on the dash, and any other preventative measure, is anybody's machine not worth $30?
    Happy trails

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 800 Polaris Engine Failure Prevention

There have been a couple '09's that i've seen that it's been the bearings on the crank that are piling up, also have had to change out a few sensors that are in the exh pipe also.. And as far as i'm concerned when i spend 10-13,000 dollars on a sled why should i have to spend money to fix a design fault in the sled.. if it is something that works but changing it will improve it then fine.. But not if i have to fix something so that myu engine might not blow-up, that should be one poolaris to fix. My two cents.
    Assitant Manager Terracana Ranch Resort. We have everything you need on site including Fuel and Mechanic if required. 1-866-968-4304.

Post Thanks / Like

Any word on the 08 700 (Dragon) engines experiencing these problems? Mine's only got about 500 miles on it, but I noticed some mid to 2/3 throttle bogging when I was riding about 3 weeks ago. We were running across a field and there was about a foot to 18 inches of powder. Didn't know about the snow ingestion problem being mentioned then, so didn't check for it and we haven't had any powder since to speak of. Not sure yet what was causing it. Temp was about +4.

Post Thanks / Like

I heard of one 700 from '07 having a bog that was related to the ECU. As far as I know Polaris put in a whole new ECU, program etc. It was a guy from another location from where I live, and it was second hand knowledge. Just what I heard.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey I'm not suggesting that the company shouldn't come clean and ante up with the fixes. I justl believe that prevention is far better than cure. I sure as hell don't drive the bag off my Duramax with the engine and tranny cold to test the validity of GM's warranty procedures!

Post Thanks / Like

my 09 800 was at 126degrees when it locked solid! 15min later it came loose,it even started but 1 hole went down.i don't move my sled till it touches 100 degrees.so i think there is more to it than cold seize.every time had hood open never seen any sign of snow dust anywhere near air box.
    timbo
    13 Pro 800 155
    09 dragon 800 155 sold!!!!
    06 chevy 2500 hd

Post Thanks / Like

Timbo I agree I wait till engine coolant temp is 118-121. No issues on mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Senshi View Post
    Guys: With all the talk and rants about the 800's exploding, injesting snow etc, I have talked to every service tech I can locate and have found out one very common symptom: operating temperature. Several machines have popped within 2-3 kms of the staging areas. On teardown, signs of 4 corener seizure are evident (shock cooling to those of you that know anything about aircraft piston engines). You may think your sled is ready to hammer on and you could be setting yourself up for disaster. If you can feel heat on the tunnel exchanger then your are good to go, not before. You may think this is bull.... but why take the chance? My old 'Doo suffered from a cold seizure; once! I learned but not before it cost me an entire rebuild ($1500 in 1990). As for the pre-filter patch on the dash, and any other preventative measure, is anybody's machine not worth $30?
    Happy trails
    This is the biggest crock I have heard in a long time.....99% of the people who ride sled's know about proper warm up. This isn't even an issue with these 800's, so I don't really understand where your coming from? All these machine's are breaking down because Polaris has a few design flaws! (who doesn't?)And that's FACT! There is a direct path in the intake via the headlight adj knob(Who the F@#K adjust's there head light?)and the owner has to spend $30 bucks to remedy? Not cool! I feel very bad for our dealership having to deal with this stuff and they are helping my friend out as much as they possibly can.......but to try and say that they are cold siezing.....? Come on, were smarter than that! .....Do you work for Polaris?

XP V.I.P. Member
    Post Thanks / Like

i have read and herd from some peeps that theres an issue in the feul mapping , that its a bit lean in the mid range, and ive seen a few pics of the blown pistons and they look like lean burn down to me, IMO
    Ride hard or ride home
    I cant believe I haven't discovered Skidoo before now!

AZZ HATS!

May the fallen victims to avalances rest in peace and forever ride on

Post Thanks / Like

No I don't, but if I did, I could maybe raise some S*#@ and get some info that actually helps instead of just passing on what other riders and some mechanics have told me. I don't like to see anyone have grief no matter what they ride; everyone has different wants and likes/dislikes. That's why we have more than one brand out there.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast