800 Polaris Engine Failure Prevention

ForeverRMK!

Reaction score
:(I was in at Cycle Works in Achesen yesterday and the sales man said expect a recall notice in the mail within a month or so for a new top end rebuild.. Thats a salesman telling me so I'll believe it when I see it. My 09 800 had a bit of a midrange bog but no other issues with 500 miles on it. I seen the big holes in the dash and plugged them before I heard about the issue and also noticed that it didn't use much oil so I just add some into the tank when I fill it. I don't know where to take it for this recall I don't really trust others working on my stuff I'd rather do it on my own.(not so good issues in the past)The salesman didn't know if they solved the lean spot or what the solution was but again thats a salesman talking. lol Might just have to get rid of the cleanfire injection system and put some carbs on it then I can adjust my own machine...if Polaris can't fix the problem with there team of experts!!:confused:

Rob1334

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:(I was in at Cycle Works in Achesen yesterday and the sales man said expect a recall notice in the mail within a month or so for a new top end rebuild.. Thats a salesman telling me so I'll believe it when I see it. My 09 800 had a bit of a midrange bog but no other issues with 500 miles on it. I seen the big holes in the dash and plugged them before I heard about the issue and also noticed that it didn't use much oil so I just add some into the tank when I fill it. I don't know where to take it for this recall I don't really trust others working on my stuff I'd rather do it on my own.(not so good issues in the past)The salesman didn't know if they solved the lean spot or what the solution was but again thats a salesman talking. lol Might just have to get rid of the cleanfire injection system and put some carbs on it then I can adjust my own machine...if Polaris can't fix the problem with there team of experts!!:confused:
The fix news is out, will be new pistons with double rings, lower compression head, new ECU flash to handle the new specs. Lots of testing has been done by some of the bigger name shops and dealers, and it is suppose to be a working fix that owners will be happy with, but as expected will be this fall when the parts are mass produced along with the new engine line, just happy to see Polaris step up to the plate with this

depthcharger

Reaction score
For guys with the 800s there is a new reflash out that is supposed to fix the bog and the lean area in the mid range which is where most of these are locking up at, not on WO pulls. Also instead of 30$ fix, slap a black piece of tape over it, done and if your riding powpow you never see it anyhow since its covered in snow.
Couple things I got from service techs down here when I got a new topend last winter due to scored pistons and jugs on my 7. Don't tow these with out covers on them. The road dust will eventually work its way through the intake filters and Fug your motor over. Also make sure you heat soak you engine, IE. let it warm to 120 ish then shut it down for 10 to 15 before you run it. This Will let your crank and bearings be all the way to operating temps which will min. wear and chance of sezing.

This would be insane!!! Warm up, then let it cool down??? No one would ever ride with me if they had to wait for this. Never had a sled that couldnt handle pullin the rope and go!! I'ts 2009 they better be better machaine than that!

DUSTINSPELLMAN

Reaction score
msrp of the new m1000 is 16,5 :nono: thats getting to be stupid, u can turbo a new dragon and run 240hp cheaper than that lol

GPsnownut

Reaction score
With todays technology, no matter what brand you buy, you shouldn't be having any problems for first 5000 km.
Letting engine warm up properly (anybody with liquid cooled engine knows how to warm them up).
Also don't use certain pump gas brands, people there is only so many refinerys around for producing gasoline, Husky, Mohawk, Shell, Petrocan, Esso, where do you think there gasoline comes from, Probably all the same place!
Polaris has skrewed up with this model, bout time they admit it and rectify the problem

I've run different sleds in my life:
1980 440 yamaha exciter, 18,000 km, no engine problems, rest of sled just plain wore out
1996 Polaris XLT, 5200 miles, has some compression loss now, but no previous problems
2008 M1000, 1400 miles, not a problem, had ECU reflash done though, not sure if that was good idea or not, haven't rode since I did it.

shakey

Reaction score
Just had my engine update done today, saw the factory pistions and head .. pistions had blow by damage under ring ,head was fine, cly walls were ok 995 miles on sled , I would say engine would have failed this year for sure

les jack

Reaction score
Just bought a new 2010 800 dragon last Jan and my first trip out to the mountains in the spring I experienced severe detonation in the mid range throttle position. Machine runs fine at low RPM and idle and at full RPM. By looking at the plugs it appears that the engine is running lean. I only have a hundred miles on the machine and don't want to burn it down. My local Polaris dealer can't be bothered to help me as I bought it elsewhere. The other problem that occurred was the engine overheated as the cooling is in the top of the tunnel and on harder packed snow on the trail I can't get enough snow to stay up in the tunnel to keep the engine cool. Really love how the sled handles and don't really want to get rid of it unless I can't solve the problems. I emailed Polaris and explained the problems and they failed to respond. This is my 4th 800 RMK machine purchased over the years and my 04 is bulletproof. Any help anyone can suggest to eleviate my problems would be appreciated. Thanks LJ Hope I haven't bought my first Polaris lemon.

Last edited:

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
all I can say is "oh boy" ...cant believe Polaris has not called you back! the nerve of them.....I think they washed their hands of the 07-10 800..........good luck!

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just bought a new 2010 800 dragon last Jan and my first trip out to the mountains in the spring I experienced severe detonation in the mid range throttle position. Machine runs fine at low RPM and idle and at full RPM. By looking at the plugs it appears that the engine is running lean. I only have a hundred miles on the machine and don't want to burn it down. My local Polaris dealer can't be bothered to help me as I bought it elsewhere. The other problem that occurred was the engine overheated as the cooling is in the top of the tunnel and on harder packed snow on the trail I can't get enough snow to stay up in the tunnel to keep the engine cool. Really love how the sled handles and don't really want to get rid of it unless I can't solve the problems. I emailed Polaris and explained the problems and they failed to respond. This is my 4th 800 RMK machine purchased over the years and my 04 is bulletproof. Any help anyone can suggest to eleviate my problems would be appreciated. Thanks LJ Hope I haven't bought my first Polaris lemon.

Give me a call at the shop, to much to type lol. I can help with your problem.

Thanks Chris

stub10_0

Reaction score
Hi Chris, just got a used 09 dragon 800. had it looked at by dealer said everything was good, comp 125 both cylinders. had fix kit installed when I got it. took it home and ran it for 5 min and fried the engine. just had complete rebuild with new fix kit and crank. they did not put the power commander back on. I have slp pipe and air intake. anything I should be doing to it for break in beside oil in tank. don't want it to blow up again. thanks

Top Bottom