98 Scrambler.... No spark?

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
We were headed out on a ride on Sunday when all of a sudden the scrambler sounded like it ran out of fuel and died, first thing we checked was that fuel was on, second was spark, we had none, tried to trace wiring but gave up and went riding without it.

It's not the off/run switch on the handlebar.

It's not the key.

We don't seem to get power to the CDI thru the 3 connectors as shown in the attached image.

I need hints/tips folks, anything you can provide would be great.

We are thinking its the Magneto.

TG

Attachments

• Magneto Wiring Scrambler.pdf
    166.6 KB · Views: 241

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Battery?.....check the ground might have came off

You got Glen on the job???

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
I read your other post.....it does turnover and the lights and everything work right?

• Admin

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I read your other post.....it does turnover and the lights and everything work right?

Starter has issues but all lights work, and the starter tries when it hits the contacts properly. I'm trying to fix this one myself, but if required I'll get Glen in to help me, I gotta learn this chit too.

On a positive note, its the first trip my cat hasn't overheated.

scramblerX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
behind the flywheel there is a pulse coil that sends power to the cdi, could be a problem there. otherwise 2 sugestions get a polaris manual on ebay I've seen them for $30 or go to "gen3usa.com" they know about all there is to know about scramblers

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you tried a new spark plug? I assume we are talking about a 400.

The wires coming from the mag need to be ohmed out. If one of the coils is open then you need a new stator (mag). Your favorite polaris dealer should be able to give you the ohm range each set of wires should test out at; if they will not give you the spec they don't need to sell you the new parts. If the stator test fails, google Ricky Stator (~ $125 usd, unless it's the pickup coil then ~$40 usd), or pucker up for the OEM parts (~$700).

Check for continuity on the primary and secondary side of the ignition coil. Again, the dealer should be able to give you specs.

If you have a good spark plug, the stator and the ignition coil test good, then you need a cdi unit.

From what you describe, my money is on a spark plug or the pickup coil in the stator.

• Admin

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Have you tried a new spark plug? I assume we are talking about a 400.

The wires coming from the mag need to be ohmed out. If one of the coils is open then you need a new stator (mag). Your favorite polaris dealer should be able to give you the ohm range each set of wires should test out at; if they will not give you the spec they don't need to sell you the new parts. If the stator test fails, google Ricky Stator (~ $125 usd, unless it's the pickup coil then ~$40 usd), or pucker up for the OEM parts (~$700).

Check for continuity on the primary and secondary side of the ignition coil. Again, the dealer should be able to give you specs.

If you have a good spark plug, the stator and the ignition coil test good, then you need a cdi unit.

From what you describe, my money is on a spark plug or the pickup coil in the stator.

Yep, we tried a new plug, even tried just a screwdriver, and yes it is the 400 2 Stroke. I'll give a call to a dealer tomorrow and see what I can find out from them in regards to the ohm ranges.

Checked out the Ricky Stator site, don't see a stator there for the 400 unfortunately, but I'll check for comparable!

Thanks Garry!

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This one probably is the one for Sara's 400:

Polaris had several models with the 400 engine: Scrambler. Sportsman, Bis Boss, Magnum, Explorer, etc.

Ricky Stator will rewind/repair your stator as well; A bit of a wait but for $600 or so you might be willing to wait!! Instructions are here:

One other point I will make on the 400 engine: The charging coils on the 400 stator are small (something like 80 watts, total). If you have a poor battery, a christmas tree worth of lighting or expecting the stator to charge a near dead battery you will eventually burn out the charge or lighting coils. 1998 seems to be a particularily bad year for polaris and stators.

Yep, we tried a new plug, even tried just a screwdriver, and yes it is the 400 2 Stroke. I'll give a call to a dealer tomorrow and see what I can find out from them in regards to the ohm ranges.

Checked out the Ricky Stator site, don't see a stator there for the 400 unfortunately, but I'll check for comparable!

Thanks Garry!

Top Bottom